1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Detailing tip - white vinegar

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mediahound, Oct 4, 2013.

1. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I made the mistake of washing my Prius in the sun today. I guess I wasn't fast enough in drying it and there were dried water spots all over.

I read online that white distilled vinegar can remove them so I soaked a microfiber towel in grocery store vinegar and sure enough, it removed the water spots in no time.

Note, I only did this on the glass but anyone who has the Prius sunroof knows that much of the car is glass (almost the entire roof + all windows). Now my glass is gleaming and smooth.

I have a few water spots on the paint too but am afraid to use the vinegar on the paint. Anyone know if it will harm it?

2. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    May be you can wash it again in shade. Not under heat sun. Especially when you do the waxing. Never under the Sun.

Merkey likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i got some rain x car wash and it did a good job removing the spots from the last time i washed it.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just realize that vinegar is 10% acetic acid. So unless you want to acid wash your paint finish, you might want to reconsider.

SCH-I535 now Free

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be diluting the vinegar for sure, although on glass it won't matter. A 1:4 ratio would be adequate.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Merkey likes this.
  7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The CA water blade squeegee is made of medical grade silicone, not hard plastic. ;)

I use one as well, it's great. Whip it out after a hard rain to dry off the all the glass, and horizontal surfaces. Even the tail light and headlight covers.

SCH-I535 now Free

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes your right but I was brief here for the uninformed. Saves alot of money & time and does a very good job.
    Whole Prius in like 30 seconds. Then minor touch up. Had one for years now.
    Amazing how so few people on this site know abut it.

9. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I ended up using a 50/50 dilution of water and vinegar. Followed by an instant detailer to rinse it. It worked very well.

I think it removes your wax though so I followed up with a coat of wax in the treated areas.

From what I understand, the longer the water spots have been there, the more difficult to remove so it's best to remove them ASAP.

I really learned my lesson though; I won't wash my black car in the sun again!

My neighbors probably think I'm crazy - I was out there before dawn today, using a flashlight and rubbing the car...

10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  11. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Regarding the California Water Blade, apparently it's no longer made but has been replaced by something called the California Jelly Blade.

but I'm a bit afraid, if there is a piece of dust or something, won't it leave a big scratch?

12. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't like those blades personally. It's best after hosing the car down to unscrew the nozzle off the end of the hose and let the free flowing water flow on the car, starting at the roof, trunk, hood and then sides. This makes the water puddle and roll off leaving very little spots behind to dry. Also, if you have a nozzle like this, you just rotate it one direction and it does the same effect without unscrewing the whole nozzle...

The Finest Water Hose Nozzle
    -

Cleaning Tools
    -

Car Washing
    -

Car Care

- Griot's Garage

Granted that one is WAY overpriced, I got a goodyear one just like it from Home Depot something like 8 years ago for $10 and it works great. Then just use a good microfiber drying towel and you're good to go. I've been using this one for years and really like it alot. Actually I had one for about 3 years and then replaced it just because it was getting old and slowly getting black marks on it from drying and it hitting around the inside of the wheel well etc.

Micro Fiber Drying Towel
    -

Drying
    -

Car Care

- Griot's Garage

13. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the info. That inline water softener seems neat although I would have to attach and un-attach it each time I wash the car since I live in a condo complex. Probably pretty quick to do though.

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope is does not.

15. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    While the blade itself is safe, sooner or later a tiny bit of grit or something will get stuck in the blade and damage the finish. This is from personal experience MANY years ago and many enthusiasts on auto detailing forums experiences as well. Of course though, everyone's MMV (mileage may vary).

16. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, with a Black Prius, I don't think I want to take a chance since even tiny scratches show up on black whereas on say silver or white, they would not.

17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Paradox, you must have some stock or other interest in Griot's garage. ;) You have referenced their products several times over in this thread. :D

18. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Nah, it's just a quick easy reference for me to use lol. I do like some of their stuff though, especially items that can wear since they offer a lifetime warranty and do honor it replacing items that are quite old. I had them replace my boars hair brush which was 8 or 9 years old when the bristles began falling out; they replaced it no questions asked.

19. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Cool, I've got a boar's hair brush as well. Just poking a little fun at you. ;) Thanks for being a good sport. :)

SCH-I535 now Free

20. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not a problem, I figured as much and surely didn't mind. :)

I've had my neighbors ask what is that you are using to wash your car, actually even the neighbors at my parents home where I was living when I first got out of the military. And that was around 14 years ago! Yeah, I've been using their stuff for quite a long time, though over more recent years as advancements in paint protection came out from other companies I've shifted to using sealants/spray detailers from other companies but still will get an occasional item from Griots be it a mitt, brush etc mainly because of their warranty on those types of items.

Not to go off topic, esp. as a mod haha, but Opticoat 2.0 is simply amazing. It's a bit tough to get used to because I am a nut and enjoy waxing/polishing/etc my car from time to time and with opticoat on there you simply don't need to nor really want to as it will either remove it (if a polish) or not stick (sealant/wax). Anywho, back on topic, sorry! :cool: