1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Details about Honda's new hybrid sedan

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Arroyo, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Arroyo

Arroyo Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Honda to Launch Car Using 'Affordable' Hybrid Engine
    By NORIHIKO SHIROUZU and NEAL BOUDETTE
    March 11, 2008 1:12 p.m.

DETROIT -- Honda Motor Co. plans to launch a small car by 2009 that uses a new "affordable" gas-electric hybrid engine as well as diesel-powered versions of its larger vehicles as part of a strategy to improve fuel-efficiency of its U.S. models, a senior company executive said Thursday.

Tetsuo Iwamura, head of Honda's U.S. sales and marketing unit, said the company could tweak its plans depending on what kind of alternative fuel technologies U.S. consumers embrace and what kind of new legal requirements on average corporate fuel economy the U.S. government puts in place.

"At this moment, we say hybrid for small cars and diesel for large cars… but we have several other alternatives we are looking into," Mr. Iwamura said in an interview with the Wall Street Journal.

The executive of the Tokyo-based auto maker said his company would like to see more details of the new average corporate fuel economy legislation as quickly as possible, so that it could better prepare which of those alternative fuel technologies would be ideal for deployment in the U.S.

Among technologies Honda is considering in addition to hybrid and new clean diesel technologies, Mr. Iwamura said, are flex-fuel vehicles that could be powered by ethanol, as well as natural gas-fueled cars. He declined to elaborate.

But for now, Honda is moving ahead with the two-pronged approach in improving its fleet's average fuel economy by coming up with more affordable small hybrid vehicles and betting on new clean diesel technology.

One of the first cars under that strategy is to hit the U.S. market is what Mr. Iwamura described as a highly affordable subcompact hybrid, slated for a launch in 2009. He said Honda is planning to sell 100,000 of the new small hybrid in North America and another 100,000 across the rest of the world.

Honda officials have said in the past that a hybrid version of the Civic, a compact car, costs about $4,000 more than a comparably equipped gasoline-engine Civic model. With the new subcompact hybrid, they said Honda is aiming to cut the hybrid premium to less than $2,000 -- about what a consumer pays for a satellite-based navigation system as optional added equipment.

That is possible, Mr. Iwamura said Thursday, because of greater economies of scale Honda is expected to achieve thanks to the sheer number of the new hybrid it expects to sell in North America and around the world.

It is a "hybrid for everybody," he said.

The Honda executive said the current sentiment in the U.S. also makes it an ideal time for Honda to introduce vehicles powered by the newly developed clean engine diesel engine that meet air-quality standards in all 50 U.S. states.

He declined to say in what vehicles Honda plans to introduce the new diesel engine.

Honda to Launch Car Using 'Affordable' Hybrid Engine - WSJ.com

2. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like the new CR-Z that Honda has 'shown off' as some of the recent international auto shows.

3. bennets2

bennets2 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'll but one ! Two door, looks good, (55 mpg?).
    Smaller, yet the next prius may get bigger and a bigger engine.

Hopefully the new honda and prius come out at the same time. So I can compare.

Steve

:)

4. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I need a commuter to replace my Subaru so my wife can use the Prius for errands and carting the kids around.

Bring it out already, Honda!

I've even looked for a used Insight, but you can't find them anywhere...

5. Arroyo

Arroyo Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My source at Honda says it's not the CR-Z, but something more along the lines of a Prius competitor - i.e., a four-door (or five-door).