1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Details on factory HU and so on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Djeayzonne, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Djeayzonne

Djeayzonne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello,

Had my 2012 Prius 3 for almost 2 weeks now. Factory system has got to go and sound deadening needs to go in.

I have a Zapco DC656, which I bought for the previous car (RX8) so I could still have an active system and keep the factory unit.

I also have a set of Hybrid Audio Legatia SE 6.5s and Legatia Pro tweeters.

I never installed this in the RX8 as I knew shortly after buying this equipment that I was not going to keep the car much longer.

So, where can I get the details on how to install this. Does the factory HU have preouts? How do I take door panels and so on off? Exactly which parts are must-dos for deadening? So on and so on.

Also, I never bought a sub for the RX8. What should I go with for this prius? I think I would like to do some stealth deal and keep my cargo space. Under the seat or something is also cool if I can fit a proper sub there, which I am guessing is not possible.

If anyone knows home audio well, I have a SVS PC-13 Ultra in my media room. I would love to have something of similar quality in the car, though doesn't have to be as loud. This is assuming such a product exists and is not ridiculously priced.

Can't wait to get this project going!

2. Djeayzonne

Djeayzonne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, just read through.

So this person just used factory wiring and did not run separate speaker wire?
    How would one install an amp? Are there preouts on the factory HU?

Are there aftermarket baffles for the front doors?
    Is there a better way to remove the factory speakers with those rivets?

I have also noticed there is a 3 inch midrange speaker instead of tweeters in this car. I only have a tweeter at the moment. Is this OK, or do I really need a midrange speaker in that spot?

3. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No preout on the HU. There are after market baffles available, some dealers will remove the old speaker guts and mount a new speaker on the old speaker frame.

4. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    there's no RCA preamp output from the HU. You'll have figure out what wires for the line out from the HU.

5. Djeayzonne

Djeayzonne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK, good info so far.

Where do I get wiring diagrams and specifications on what exactly the oem HU is outputting?

Is there documentation on how to take the car apart?

Suggestions on where/how to deaden the car for max effect/min weight and mpg loss?

I am curious about that pre-fab fiberglass sub box in the cubby hole. I understand only a 10 can fit. Are there any 10s that would work for dubstep and drumnbass?

After looking at the specs for my DC650.6, I noticed the damping factor is only 160 for each channel, but that it is stable to 1 ohm for the two-channels that would be used for the sub.

When bridging these two channels, does the damping factor increase in the same way wattage increases? How about for going from 4-ohm to 2-ohm sub?

My amplifier must be connected with Symbilink cables. I have two, but what I don't yet know is the best way to connect the HU to these cables.

Also, with the complexity of this amp, this might be bigger than what I am comfortable doing myself. Is there anyone in the DFW area experienced with Zapco who would like to help me do this? Or at least let me help you with it?

6. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AFAIK there is no "non-official" service guide (or addendum) for 2012 yet. The audio has been changed significantly for EU 2012 models (touch screen Harmann audio HU for all packages).
    Try to visit Toyota's techinfo web pages and purchase access time.