1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DetNews: More police departments choosing SUVs over sedans

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Aug 20, 2013.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Code:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130820/BIZ/308200025/More-police-departments-choosing-SUVs-over-sedans?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE
    (Had to put above in CODE otherwise this software pukes and refuses to let me post w/the above URL.)
    There's also:
    Sigh... most police don't need guzzler battering rams of death that also have terrible accident avoidance capabilities in the form of terrible handling and braking. Who ends up paying for all that fuel?
    I'd much rather than buy sedans or midsized SUVs like the Explorer mentioned than the above BRoDs.

jgilliam1955 likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've seen it mentioned that police departments prefer rwd vehicles. They are cheaper to repair in the event of front end damage. They are probably more capable when it comes to things like pushing disabled vehicles off the road. SUVs also have the high seating that allows you to see more.

Of course it could all be simply do to driver preference. My wife used to have a Lincoln Mark VII. Even when driving fwd cars of similar power, she felt they were 'dogs'. Fleet sales of the Crown Vic ended in 2011. The Pontiac G8 was the newest domestic rwd sedan that was available. Now you have to go to the Germans for one. Maybe once the Grand National, and other rwd sedans, return, we might see the SUV here popularity shift.