1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Detroit News: Prius is best car of the decade

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Aegison, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Detroit News published its picks for best and worst cars of the decade, And yes, the Pontial Aztec didn't fare too well ....

Best
    The Toyota Prius: If there were only one vehicle to choose as the defining motorcar from 2000-09, it would be the Toyota Prius.
    Toyota created its green image because of the Prius and changed the way every carmaker approaches hybrids. It spent millions to develop its program and remains the hybrid leader in most consumers' minds.
    While Prius' success coincides with the rise of Toyota as the world's largest carmaker during this past decade, it's not coincidence.

Best and worst vehicles of the decade | detnews.com | The Detroit News

1 person likes this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Prius, he says, is the Best . . . along with ALL Big 3 trucks ... over powered Vetts, and a Caddy. Hmmm . . . I don't know if that counts as a complement.

:confused:

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OT: Found this article on the same site which is simplistically stupid and intellectually bankrupt:

DETNEWS | Weblogs | Autos: Scott Burgess' Blog

So the government is killing people by requiring higher FE and lower emissions, but we don't need to consider how many people die from air pollution or how many will be affected by global climate change?

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it's a little strange. I grew up with a 67 Ford Mustang. I loved that car. I think it's a beautiful car. I have to admit when I see the new Ford Mustangs, deep inside I have a momentary desire to buy one. But as much as I love the my memories of The Ford Mustang it's deplorable that the MPG's on the new ones, 15/23 are so comparable to the original Mustang my parents owned over 40 years ago. This article kind of reveals what is wrong with Detroit and US automakers.

They can't "move forward" selling on nostalgia. Just like the PT Cruiser and New VW Bug, you can have a nice bump selling a "retro" car for a while, but eventually it levels out and people start judging the product. Then you better have something more than just a big car with a small back seat that gets lousy gas mileage and is expensive to insure.

It does seem like kind of a back handed slap to me when all the other "bests" are just big automobiles/trucks (Civic Excepted) and then The Prius "best" is defined as "most defining".

Sorry but there's more to it than that. The Prius defined, because it was revolutionary as a mass produced automobile and was a cutting edge product. Any other cars on that list fit that description? Sad to me that the answer is no.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, Toyota created the Prius because they were afraid of the American manufacturers producing the "SuperCar" designed to revolutionize the vehicle world and achieve over 60mpg apiece. But when they pulled out, only Toyota and Honda were left holding hybrids.

1 person likes this.
  6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think, according to sales, the Camry is just about the best passenger car of the decade.

I think the Gen2 was a groundbreaking car and of course great with high FE and low emissions, but

I could never call any car 'great' that is seriously awkward for me to drive down the road. A Civic feels normal, a Gen2 Prius, totally awkward.

I have my original driver's seat in the car while doing a 3+ week seat project. I can't wait to get the new seat in the car. The drive to the airport was terrible. I'm 6'2" which is tall but not that tall.

If Toyota had just copied the basics of the Honda Civic interior, the Gen2 Prius would be closer to a best for me. At least the Gen3 is improved in areas that make a very good car.

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Perhaps you are just a freak of nature*. :madgrin:

I met a woman who owns a Prius and she thinks its a very comfortable car. Of course, she is 5' 2". :p

* My GF calls me a freak of nature. I am only 6' 1" but I cannot fit in the majority of cars due to headroom. As we previously discussed, I had to modify my seat so my head wouldn't touch the headliner. I'm ok with legroom with the seat in the furthest rearward position.

8. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For most, it's not a suprise.:D

9. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, that's a bold statement for a Detroit newspaper, but he did get it right. The Prius is the most significant car of the decade.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Easy 'fix' for that, just slide her seat forward several notches, block it in place, put 'er on a 3" firm cushion ... I don't think she'd find it quite so comfortable. Kidding of course, but to illustrate.

I agree the 04 - 09 is as some say, a cult car, and not for everybody. Still, it's mud in the face to pick something and end up disliking it. But, yes, it's a significant car.