1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Device Inside to Open the Trunk - 2008?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rslitman, Nov 23, 2008.

1. rslitman

rslitman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Quick Summary:

1. Is there a way to open the trunk from within the car?

2. Is there a way to open the trunk with a manual key in a keyhole?

I've had my Prius exactly 9 months today. One think I haven't been able to locate, if it exists, is a lever or other device to open the trunk from inside the car. On multiple occasions, I've picked up someone with luggage at a train station and have had to get out of the car myself to open the trunk. The most recent time, I couldn't even pull the trunk open easily, and we ended up just putting all of the luggage in the back seat. (It's taken me these 9 months to just get the hang of opening the trunk. Yesterday, I actually got it open the first time to put something into the trunk and successfully got it open later to take it out!)

Also, is there a keyhole on the trunk to open it manually with the key? I have tried looking for this way to open the trunk, again with no success.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There is a not-so-convient emergency release inside the hatch area. A photo of it is available in the User-Guide.

Something is wrong though, if you can't open it easily. That shouldn't require much effort. Are you sure it is actually unlocked? That isn't possible from the FOB if the car is running. But you can unlock at anytime using the button on either front door.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    After 2+ years I still have to push on the handle a couple of times to get it open & more often than not it takes a couple tries to get it down & locked.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re your signature: Neil Diamond and Neil Sedaka.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is an emergency release inside near the bottom hatch area. This is documented in your owner manual, and I should warn you it is a giant PITA to operate

The hatch release is entirely electric. If the battery is dead, you will have to use the underhood emergency jump point, again documented in your owner manual

If you drive around with the car locked, and exit the driver seat, the other doors remain locked. If you then reach under the Toyota emblem to press the switch, nothing will happen

You must manually unlock the doors, exit the car, then reach under the Toyota emblem to release the hatch. There is no remote hatch release on the fob or inside the car. There is no keyhole for the hatch, just for the driver door. The black button at the rear hatch is used to lock the doors

My electric release was weird at first. I sprayed some white lithium grease into the mechanism and that really helped a lot. I have to give a firm slam to ensure my hatch is properly closed

Speaking of lubricating locks, make sure you use a spray lube on the driver keyhole, then use the fob emergency key to work it back and forth. The keyhole is rarely used, and can corrode pretty badly.

6. rslitman

rslitman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks for this information, especially the link to the User-Guide. I've just downloaded it and plan to study it in more detail.

I found the photo on page 42. It's definitely not what I was looking for. Apparently you have to go into the trunk (what others call the "hatch") to open it from the inside! And I guess that means putting down the back seat and climbing in there yourself.

Maybe this was done as a theft prevention mechanism - to prevent people from getting into the main part of the car if it's unlocked and opening the trunk/hatch from there.

I recall that on at least one of my old Acuras, as well as on a Chrysler LeBaron one of my sisters had, you had to use the key to unlock the inside trunk release. With many of us not using a key, period, with the Prius, this could be more hassle than it's worth.

I think my most recent train station debacle with the trunk/hatch occurred because the motor was indeed running. This information is also re-iterated on page 41 of the User-Guide (under the heading "Unlock"). I'll keep this in mind for the future.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think these posts are mostly missing the point. There is no need for an inside hatch release, except in the case of emergency. When you unlock all of the doors, the hatch is unlocked too. At this point anyone can grab the hatch handle and the hatch will pop open.

Just make sure you unlock the doors and the rest is simple.

Tom

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's because it's an emergency release latch in case the battery dies.

From your responses, I take it that you've never had a wagon, hatchback or an SUV (esp. since you don't like to call it a hatch and insist on calling it the trunk). Only sedans with a trunk will have a keyhole at the back to manually open the trunklid (and even then they're getting more and more rare as manufacturers switch to an electric release). And keep in mind that some hatchbacks have a key because they're marketed as sedans (even though the rear glass lifts up) because back then, hatchback was a dirty word... just like wagons.

9. rslitman

rslitman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Hatch Vs. Trunk

Actually, from May 16, 1981, through June 3, 1998, every car that I owned (a Chevrolet Citation and three Acura Integras, although one of these was totaled in an accident in which I was not at fault on the 3rd day I owned it) was a hatchback. In the early 1980s, hatchbacks seemed to be the "in" thing. However, since most of the cars that had been in households in which I had lived (my parents' cars plus my first car, a Dodge Dar) were sedans, "trunk" became the only word I knew for the part of the car that opened in the rear in which items could be carried and, more importantly, hidden from view.

My parents had one station wagon, a 1958 Chevy, during the years in which I was growing up. More recently, the man in my life had a series of station wagons leading up to the Prius he bought last February at the same time when I bought mine. I think I just called the back part of these, where we could put luggage and other things, "the rear" and "the back". I've never liked the way that much of what's stored in the back of station wagons is visible. I do recall that my parents' car from 50 years ago and the station wagons the man in my life had also had a smaller section where items could be stored out of view.

When I got rental cars in the 1980s and early 1990s, for the price range in which we were renting, we usually were assigned a Chevette or other low-end hatchback that, unlike my Citation, Integras, and Prius, did not have a cargo cover. I would then go back into the rental office and say that I didn't feel my luggage would be secure in a car with no "trunk" cover. This was an honest complaint, not a put-on ploy for an upgrade, but every single time, I can't think of any exceptions, we got a different car with either a "real trunk" or a hatchback cover.

One thing I miss from the Acura Integra four-door sedan I had from June 3, 1998, through February 23, 2008, is a rear window ledge on which I could put some trinkets that didn't get disturbed when the trunk had to be opened. However, I'm glad to have a rear window windshield wiper again! My earlier Integras had these. My first one was a 1987 4-door hatchback. This one got totaled in a flood in 1989. I wanted another 4-door Integra with a rear winshield wiper, but the 4-doors at that time no longer came with this because they were now considered to be "sedans" rather than "hatchbacks". I went for a 2-door hatchback, which I bought on August 31, 1989. A driver eating at the wheel driving high-speed on the Pennsylvania Turnpike on Saturday of Labor Day plowed into our rear. My passenger walked away unhurt. I walked away with an old injury aggravated but no other serious damage. The other driver survived but went off in an ambulance if I recall correctly. Since this car saved us from serious injury, I definitely wanted another one.

By 1998, I was ready for a 4-door again because I had had problems chauferring my elderly parents and other semi-regular riders in a 2-door car. I knew that one cost was forgoing a rear windshield wiper, but I decided to do this anyway. Now I have a 4-door with a rear windshield wiper again, and I'm very happy with it.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice story!

Yeah but it seems like they're sorta coming back as people start switching from SUVs

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Do be aware that to open the hatch:
    1. The doors must be unlocked (unlock button on either front door as mentioned above - the FOB unlock will not work if the car is in "Ready").
    2. When you press up on the rubber cover of the hatch handle it takes a second or two for the unlock to function.

Also, the hatch should easily latch when you close it firmly. If it does not it needs attention! Doors that don't latch or unlatch properly are major safety concerns!