1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DFP/Autoblog: Toyota led all automakers with most recalled vehicles in 2009

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by a_gray_prius, Dec 30, 2009.

1. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Detroit Free Press: Toyota led all automakers with most recalled vehicles in 2009 *UPDATED — Autoblog

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Gee .. imagine Detroit anything brewing a story about the little company that eventually out produced Detroit ... out sized Detroit ... and then defeated defeated Detroit.

Gee ... imagine the largest car company, having the largest QUANTITY of recalls ... hmmm ... what are the odds ...

Gee ... I wonder why the author didn't publish something more meaningfull ... like the number of defects per million cars manufactured - and then list all other manufacturer's defects per million

Gee ... I wonder if some of the lowest volume manufacturers have the lowest number of defects ?

;)

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Apparantly most of Toyota's recalls are over the non-manufacturing problem of someone using improperly fitting floormats who doesn't know how to shift to neutral. IMO the article is pure crap but then what else could one expect from Detroit.

Canada, how much would we have to pay you to take Detroit?

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Sorry, we don't take debt. So you don't have enough money. ;)
    Anyway, we already have enough turkeys of our own!

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since I have lately been accused of not supporting The Prius or Toyota let me make an attempt at blatant Rah! Rah! support.

If they are going on total number of recalls and counting the recall based on floormats that hardly seems fair. My understanding was that the original unitended acceleration issue was born out of a Dealer installing the improper mats or installing mats improperly on a Loaner Car, it was tragic but an human error not a mechanical. Which led Toyota to an eventual "recall" or halt on some all-weather mats and an eventual offer of the advice to use Zip Ties and the offer to install different gas pedals. But it seemed that nobody really proved that if you had the proper mats, properly installed there ever was any real danger. With the publicity of the case and the tragic realities surrounding the outcome, Toyota was obligated and IMO rightly so, to investigate and even issue a recall and good for Toyota that they did.

Since we were dealing with floormats, this resulted in the sheer number of the recall being huge, but I think the recall actually shows a great commitment of Toyota to safety and quality. I'd rather have an automobile company say "We are going to be safe and recommend you use Zip Ties and perhaps reshape the shape of our gas pedals, even if this results in a huge number of formal recalls, than an automobile company ignoring the problem.

Toyota could of chosen to whistle past the graveyard on this issue for a long time or until forced, and instead I think they were pro-active in reaction. It's too bad it's resulting in negative press I don't think they deserve.

This is an odd case where I would say, Toyota had a huge number of recalls....good for them. Sometimes a recall can be illustrative of a commitment to quality not a failure of quality and as far as this issue goes, I think that is the case.

I know nothing about the Rusted Tundra Frames....