1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DFW area mechanic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Texasprius2002, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Texasprius2002

Texasprius2002 New Member

I'm am fairly new to this kind of vehicle and i am looking for a mechanic (other than a dealer) that does good work and knows these cars really well. I just recently purchased a salvage prius and it needs some work. If any one can point me in the right direction i surely would appreciate it. B)

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Howdy Neighbor - Texasprius2002

It is very unlikely that you could find an independent mechanic equipped to deal with the peculiarities of the Prius, particularly the Hybrid system itself. An expensive scanner (not like the Pep Boys) is needed as well as training on the Prius. Perhaps in time there'll be an adequate Prius "population" to justify independent mechanics making the needed investments in training and equipment to care for a Prius.

I respect my over 20-year Independent mechanic who has cared for 5 or 6 of our cars during that period and has more than once proved himself honest and capable. One factor in my respect is that he will decline to tackle systems with which he is not trained, including the Prius except for changing the oil & filter.

Through recommendations found in the Dallas Area Prius Meetup Group, I discovered an Assistant Service Manager, now at Toyota of Richardson, who is well schooled in the peculiarities of the Prius. They follow my "by the numbers" service requests, use my oil to prevent overfilling (3½ qts Mobil-1 5W30), set the tire pressures per my 40psi front 38 psi rear specifications, and deliver my Prius freshly washed. I'm not familiar with Fort Worth Toyota dealers, so I can't be of much help there.

3. ajeadie

ajeadie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I need a 02 Prius Battery mechanic. do U know one? Thank you, Alan
    ajeadie yahoo com