1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diagnose Multiple DTC Codes: Misfire and IAT/MAF sensors

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mark S., Jan 30, 2022.

1. Mark S.

Mark S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello all,
    This is my first time posting to this PRIUSchat and I am relatively new to doing maintenance on my 2010 Prius with 112k miles. Driving home the other day I noticed the check engine light came on. I took it to a car parts store and got the below codes:

P0304 - cylinder 4 misfire
    P0102 - MAF sensor - circuit low
    P0113 - IAT sensor - high input problem

Last June I did some maintenance on my Prius for the first time - there seems to be a link unfortunately :(

Here's what I did:

Cleaned intake manifold, throttle body, EGR tube, MAF/IAT sensors
    Replaced spark plugs
    Replaced fuel injectors (after market but I used o-rings from original fuel injectors)

I also recently filled my car up with mid-level gas from Shell before I realized your not supposed to use premium gas for Prius... Any thoughts on how to further diagnose/solve the issue would be so appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mark

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check oil level... Check plugs on mass air flow/temp sensor.

Clear codes and let us know how long it takes for them to return...

Did you touch the sensors with anything when cleaning or just the spray that's designed for 'em?

Mark S. likes this.
  3. Mark S.

Mark S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay will do- thank you! I didn't touch the sensors with anything other then the cleaner specified in the "Nutz and Bolts" tutorials. Could you explain how the oil level may be causing the problem and how the air flow/temp sensors could be related to the mis-firing? Thanks again

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With many cases of people doing DIY work, sometimes they just don't tighten everything. Since you have a misfire code, I would check if all the plugs are tightly in place. I've seen times where the plugs were not tighten properly and they get damaged/loose as time goes by.

Why did you replace the fuel injectors on your DIY service? That's not a replacement item on the maintenance schedule.

The fuel you put into the car has little reasoning behind the misfire code. You could use regular 87, midgrade, or premium fuel in the car. Using anything other than 87 is just paying more, it won't harm the car

Mark S. likes this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Why would work six months ago cause codes a couple of days ago? If it ran fine after the maintenance there is no logical cause and effect.

Filling up with mid or high grade gas will cause no problems. In fact you might have increased the detergent additives and certainly improved the octane. Both good things. I would run Premium Shell, Chevron or Exxon all the time except for one downside, it lightens your wallet.

6. Mark S.

Mark S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe the diagnostic codes referenced the exact parts of the car that I replaced or cleaned 6 months ago (i.e. the air flow/temp sensors and the spark plugs/fuel injectors). So it's hard not to make a connection. One code said cylinder 4 misfired so I am wondering if that injector is faulty since it was a cheaper, after market brand.

I am actually not sure now that I think of it... I was trying to clean all the carbon build-up from the engine/intake and thought replacing fuel injectors was a good idea. Do you think I should re-install the originals? I am wondering if the after market ones I used could be the problem. Double checking connections is also a good idea.

#6 Mark S., Jan 31, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2022
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The mass airflow and intake air temperature sensors are combined in one unit, near the back of the airbox, with one electrical connector to it. That connection and the nearby wiring are probably the first place I'd poke at if I were looking at codes for both sensors.

burebista likes this.
  8. Mark S.

Mark S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I purchased a multimeter to investigate the sensors but I am not sure how to physically contact the wires. Do I need to remove the plastic connectors coming from the control unit?

9. Mark S.

Mark S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, I've finished todays attempts to work on the car and here's an update:

1. I tried resetting codes twice by unplugging 12v battery for 15 minute but the engine light never turned off
    2. I tried resetting codes using a code reader but the codes immediately reappeared.
    3. Voltage on the air-flow (MAF) connector was measured on two separate wires at 5 and 11.75 volts
    4. Voltage on the temperature sensor (IAT) connector was measured on two separate wires at 5 and 5 volts

I believe I need to connect the multimeter to the MAF sensor while it's plugged and with the engine on but I have no idea how to to do this. Please let me know if you have any info on this or can recommend additional things (wiring stuff) to investigate. The more specific the better since I am so new at this!

-Mark

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You might take a look at this post about successful backprobing.

Mark S. likes this.