1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diagnostic display, How??

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by SteveWlf, Feb 4, 2013.

1. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there a "Chicken Dance", similar to the Gen2, to get some basic reading up on the MFD??

I have occasionally experienced problems that seem to point to the Aux battery and test of the OEM indicate normal voltage levels, even when I put a new Optima Yellow Top in, the problems came back and the only way I have avoided them is to keep a second good auto battery in the trunk, connected with jumper cables.
    The problem I mention has been related by others. Won't go to Ready. will only drive on battery for a short distance, until battery level is low. No ICE. Red Triangle, etc.. Then just let it sit a while turned off and everything is fine. As I said, never happens if I keep the second jumper battery connected.

I'm wondering if there are brief occasions that the power convertor isn't keeping the aux battery charged and having the second battery is providing some extra reserve??

I use to think this was caused by corroded battery connections but mine are sparkling clean now and I alway make sure they are tight.

Anyway, I'd like to watch the aux battery voltage a while, with or without the extra battery hooked up.

Steve

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, there is. The display you get won't give you much information useful for anything besides audio and nav diagnosis, but it does include a voltage display, which might be all you're looking for.

If you don't have vol. 1 of the manual (and you don't subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com) you should still be able to find the dance with some searching. I think the "elearnaid" site (google for prius miata) has it illustrated with pictures.

-Chap

Edit: if you have a ScanGauge (or really any OBD-II reader), it should have a voltage display also, even more convenient than chickendancing with the MFD ... you can just leave it displaying. It can even show you the voltage when the key is off (voltage is actually measured by the scanner itself, looking at the unswitched-power pin of the DLC connector).

bwilson4web likes this.