1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diagnostic help needed: honking, won't start, etc.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bigdaddy, Nov 1, 2008.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

it's been awhile since I've been here, but am in desparate need of help.

Just came up from basement, heard a faint honking, went outside and it was the 2005 Prius honking loudly -- not sure how long!

Anyway, got in the car, pressed the power button a bit and it stopped. I had to press power many times to get car to go off.

Now, when I press brake and try to start -- I get no engine start. The dashboard lights come one, but they are kind of whacky -- the fuel says E (know that is not the case) -- the transmissinon lights all flash -- the check engine light is on, the ABS light is on -- and there are various other anomolies that I can't remember. The red triangle of death light is fortunalelyt off.

When I try to turn it off, I can't. Well it takes *many* presses of power button for it to go off.

What's up? did I drain the battery? outtta gas? I had been in the car about 2 hours ago getting a CD from the player, so I probably somehow kicked this chain of events off.

Any ideas on how to go about diagnosing?

-Brad

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like the 12v battery is almost dead. Either wait a couple of hours and try to start the car again, or jump start it. You probably hit the panic button on the fob while it was in your pocket.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Brad,

See if you can turn on the headlights; if so are they bright or dim?

If bright, then the 12V battery may be OK. In that case, if the car doesn't start, I suggest disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 minutes to let the ECUs reset, then reconnect. Then see if the car will start.

If dim, then the 12V battery either needs charging (suggest you disconnect the battery cables first) or else needs to be replaced.

Good luck.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Hey folks, thanks for the help. I took the 'wait it out' advice and waited an hour. Started just fine. Weak battery causes such strange behavior!

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on the year of the car, you're probably getting close to needing a new 12v battery.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Glad to hear it's relatively okay.

What you described happened to me twice. Once at work and the other at home. A coworker and a neighbor said, "your car's making noises." The first time (work) it straightened up after only a stern talking to. But the one at home seemed more serious like what you described. Eventually, though, it's all okay.

BTW, good to have you back.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Hey Tony,

Yeah, I've been spending the last year trying to figure out what my 1000th post would be. Up to 992 now I guess. I've been saving it for something important -- I'd hate to waste it over at Fred's. :)

Brad

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Brad,
    As above this is definately consistant with a 12v battery issue.
    With an '05, esp. if it's an early '05 you're probably safest just replacing the 12v. If you have a later '05 and might have just left something turned on that drained the 12v but that it's still strong otherwise then you might just take it to an auto parts place and have it tested. But I'm betting you'll have a new battery this month before it's done. Just not worth ending up stranded somewhere.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A battery is a terrible thing to waste. *Always* lock the car when you leave it, no matter where it is. If the car gives a long beep, you left something open or on that should not be.

And if you do get stranded somewhere make certain it doesn't get jumped incorrectly. Instead of a $150 battery replacement you could be stuck with a $3000 inverter/computer/wiring harness replacement. If you have any doubt whatsoever about the procedure have it towed to a dealer.

10. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think we all got an interesting education from Ginnys experience.