1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE iPod Adaptor and iPhone, not so good

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tomchak, Aug 22, 2007.

1. tomchak

tomchak New Member

I'm wondering if anybody has had success getting their iPhone to work with the DICE unit. When I connect mine, it basically locks out my iPhone, and I have no access to any of the manual controls like I do with my standard iPod.

Anybody else have a better experience, or know of a way around this problem?

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TommyBoy @ Aug 22 2007, 11:24 AM) [snapback]500465[/snapback]</div>

No, it's intentional from Apple as part of their design. The iPhone is missing ALOT of programming and functionality that exists in a iPod.

However.

If you're on the iPod screen and you have it connected, press the Home key for 6 seconds and the iPhone will become unlocked. When you do this you'll lose control from the headunit of the car.

3. cheule

cheule New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Aug 22 2007, 03:22 PM) [snapback]500632[/snapback]</div>
    Vagabond, I'm not sure that I agree with you that it's intentional by Apple. The reason I say that is that when I plug my iPhone into my Alpine iPod adapter (which leads into an Alpine head unit on my Honda Insight) I have control through both the head unit and the iPhone simultaneously.

Which, might I add, is not what happens with my normal 60GB iPod. When I hook the iPod up to the unit, it locks the iPod controls out with an Alpine logo on my iPod's screen, and control is exclusively through the head unit.

But at any rate, I can control the iPod side of my iPhone while connected to the car, so I doubt it's intentional by Apple but rather how the DICE unit handles it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Aug 22 2007, 03:22 PM) [snapback]500632[/snapback]</div>
    You probably know this, but in case you don't--holding down the home button for six seconds "force quits" the app your in.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sean Blumenthal @ Aug 23 2007, 09:27 PM) [snapback]501392[/snapback]</div>
    Incorrect, and you proved it with your statement. Your Alpine unit doesn't know how to do a proper Initialization with your iPhone, so it's kicking over to simple mode. Or it's a fluke because the init process is failing. If it's a fluke I see it all the time, and usually a reset puts everything back to normal. I doubt very much you have advanced controls while your iPhone is in this state. Your Alpine locks out your iPod, that's what it was designed to do, and if your kit was re-manufactured today it would be the same with the iPhone.

Yes, I was aware that it's actually a force-quit, but thanks.

5. tomchak

tomchak New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Aug 22 2007, 05:22 PM) [snapback]500632[/snapback]</div>
    One thing I've noticed is that it's not actually consistent at all. Because it works one way one time, and another the next it really appears that the Dice unit is not correctly communicating with the iPhone. Last night I plugged it in and it didn't lock the screen, it allowed me full access to everything. However, if I hit the home button, it would go home for second and then on its own go back to the iPod screen. After hitting the home button several times, it did finally "say home". AT that point I could access any part of the phone, and even play videos and have the sound piped though the car (I was only testing it while parked in the driveway, not driving and watching it).

I guess my point is that how it works right now is not the kind of experience I would think Apple or DICE had planned. It can be pretty frustrating. It's too bad having a genuine iPod hookup was not a package option from Toyota.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TommyBoy @ Aug 24 2007, 05:24 AM) [snapback]501483[/snapback]</div>
    You're pressing the home key while it's still attempting to initialize. If you interrupt it, it's going to keep trying til it gets it right. You can do the same thing in an iPod but you'll never know it since with the DICE kit the iPod is going to end up unlocked anyways. Other users of VAIS, USA Spec have reported the same experiences with an iPod as you described with an iPhone. Nothing is wrong with either device (unless the iPod has fallen out of sync and needs to be rebooted) when this happens. It was just interrupted in the Init process.

The sound being piped through the car part was a nice add-on by Apple with the firmware 1.0.1 - you can even hear audio from a website through it. Nifty.

7. tomchak

tomchak New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Aug 24 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]501591[/snapback]</div>
    You might be right. At first I though I wasn't, but it's possible it's still working its magic and it's just not visable. I'll give it another shot.

However, my original point about it not being consistent is still the same. There are times that the screen is just totally locked out from me doing anything (it says "in use" by device) and other times I can still control it. I'm hoping future updates improve this.

Thanks for your reply!

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TommyBoy @ Aug 24 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]501744[/snapback]</div>
    I wish I could see a pic of this message cause' I've never seen it happen on mine before. You've given the phone a reboot? Have you done the updates or Jailbreak'd it at all?

9. tomchak

tomchak New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Aug 24 2007, 05:03 PM) [snapback]501748[/snapback]</div>
    I'll see if I can snap a photo of it and upload it. I've done no unauthorized modifications to the phone at all, it's as clean as when I opened the box. I'll see if I can get the pict up later today.