1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE iPod Integration Kit - draining my 12V

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by masher77, Dec 13, 2009.

1. masher77

masher77 New Member

I purchased the DICE iPod integration kit for my '06 prius... the kit with the "black box" that plugs into the AUX port on the back of the stereo, and then has a cable to connect with the iPod interface port. It seems to be the source of my 12V battery drain. Here's the scenario:

I have the DICE "black box" in my glove compartment, and I have left the prius parked in my garage for 4+ days, only to find the 12V completely drained. The iPod is not plugged into the DICE box. This has happened a few times, when I forget to unplug the DICE box from the stereo.

I have unplugged the DICE box from the stereo AUX port (by means of unplugging the cable from the stereo to DICE box marked 'Vechicle connector') and had the prius parked for 7+ days, with seemingly no battery drain.

Although I admit to not measuring the actual charge at either period, it is pretty obvious when it is drained.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior? perhaps I have a faulty DICE box? I would think with the stereo off the DICE box shouldn't consume power. I should do a measurement of sorts to confirm, but will have to research how that is done properly.

I am thinking of splicing into the power cable from the DICE box to the stereo and wiring an on/off switch since that would be easier than unplugging the cable every time I intend on leaving the car off for more than a day.

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had no evidence of battery drain from the DICE. It is supposed to continue charging an iPod for a while after powering off the car, perhaps yours is trying to do so forever? Sorry, not much help beyond wild ideas.

- D

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try putting an VOM meter in line and see what the current draw to the Dice unit is.. If it's over .3 amp, it's the problem, if not, probably not so!!!

It's a start, let us know what you find!