1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE iPod integration vs Aux plug in, sound quality??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by BethlehemPrius, Aug 7, 2007.

1. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Ok I am very curious to get some input from fellow members who have the iPod with direct integration with the DICE unit.

I have tried just plugging into the Aux plug in the center console and in my opinion it sounds like I am listening to a cassette tape through that. It is no where near CD quality.

I am curious if the DICE unit gives the same bad sound quality or if this unti is alot better than the Aux method?

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For just the iPod? Or do you want to know if the sound quality of the DICE's AUX jack is better than the Prius' AUX jack?

3. markgunn

markgunn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BethlehemPrius @ Aug 7 2007, 01:13 PM) [snapback]491998[/snapback]</div>
    1. You can fix the bad quality from your IPOD through the Auxiliary jack. Make sure you are not just connecting your headphone jack on the IPOD to the auxiliary port. This will (a) be low quality and (B) be effected by noise interence from the 12V supply. You can get a line out adaptor for the IPOD which connects via the connector used to connect to you PC. Typically you will be able to purchase a combo of car charger and line out that will also minimize noise.

2. Having said that the primary reason for investing in a DICE unit is not for better sound quality, but to get better integration. For example with DICE, when you power down the stereo and power up, the IPOD picks up where you stopped, similarly when you take a phone call through the integrated blue tooth, it will pause and restart when you are finished, it will also offer some minimal integration with the MFD and steering wheel controls. I found this, although largely disappointing, to be worth the $120 investment.

4. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(markgunn @ Aug 7 2007, 07:54 PM) [snapback]492122[/snapback]</div>

I think this answers my question, I would really like to have all my songs in the car, but not sure I want to spend all the money for the DICE.

I have just used a regular plug, to plug into the Aux jack, so I will look for the other special iPod one to give that a try.

Thanks for the tips ! :)

ok............looked around online at a bunch of sites, any suggestions of where to find this type of cable? The only thing I am seeing is the male to male type that i have already tried with bad quality?
    Thanks....

OK, FOUND IT ;-) for this price think I will try this first to see what I think of this sound quality before spending 150 for the DICE, although that seems nice :)

For anyone interested, here is where I found it.

http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.a...;%20Accessories