1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE IPod Kit and MFD Freeze

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MatL, Jun 1, 2007.

1. MatL

MatL Junior Member

Hoping Vagabond posts reply to this one..... I have a ticket open with DICE, but I realized that this would be good info to help others in prius chat community as well.

I succesfully Installed the DICE unit over the memorial day weekend in my 2007 Prius package #3 -- hooked up to my wifes 1st generation IPod Nano - and we put the iPod in Shuffle mode. Forward and reverse of tracks seemed to work OK after I got the 16 character scrolling to work.

After a succesfull week of using we have had issues last night.

Details of the install (dip switches iPod = DICE MODE;car = Satellite down down)

All of a sudden the MFD for the Prius would lock up. (radio shut itself off, no climate control, no display for reverse camera, no info) just the Toyota logo --- freaked my wife out last night. Tried to move the dip switches and restart... still frozen on the Toyota logo.

I removed the black Dice box from the system and the MFD function was 'back to normal'.. radio on, climate control, trip/consumption info and the touch screen actually worked.

This shouldn't happen. It was like the DICE unit was 'flooding data' to the MFD so that it couldn't work, but as soon as I disconnected the unit -- MFD was back to normal.

Thanks Mat

2. MatL

MatL Junior Member

Found some additional posts on PriusChat with configuring the Dice iPod adapter.... I updated the dip switches to MP3 mode and Dice Mode and tried again.... will see how it behaves over the weekend.

3. jpoel

jpoel New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MatL @ Jun 1 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]453440[/snapback]</div>

Matt, I have a possibly similar problem. After installing my second Dice, it began to malfunction and wouldn't work with the MFD, although the MFD performed normally otherwise. Then something horrible - the MFD completely froze. Toyota replaced it under warranty last week and installed my THIRD DICE, then after a few days of normal operation with the DICE, the new MFD completely failed! I'm wondering whether it is the goddam DICE and not the other non-DICE related failure that many Prius owners are experiencing? Anyone else seeing a total MFD failure after installing the DICE?
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MatL @ Jun 1 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]453440[/snapback]</div>

4. jpoel

jpoel New Member

Ah, the woes continue and now get worse. My MFD completely failed a couple of weeks after installing the SECOND replacement DICE unit and Toyota replaced it last week under warranty and installed the THIRD DICE replacement unit. A week later, the new MFD freezes - and I'm not just talking about the CD text and loss of control of the DICE unit - I'm talking total unit freeze - won't display milage, control climate, audio is listed as "off" and won't play anything. Sooo, I'm thinking, maybe it's the DICE? So I remove the dome fuse from under the hood, and viola! the MFD comes back to life. So I think, my friends, that the DICE is to blame. I will have Toyota disconnect and remove the DICE on Monday and see if my MFD functions normally again. I think it will. So what we need to do is return the THIRD DICE unit for a refund, because I have already had to pay twice for installation (Toyota put the THIRD unit in when replacing the MFD, which I wonder if it was perfectly good? probably.) :( <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MatL @ Jun 1 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]453440[/snapback]</div>

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This would entirely depend on when the units were produced. Where did you get them from? Jpoel, do you have the iPod kit or the HD kit.

6. HappyPig

HappyPig Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My sympathies - I had the EXACT same symptoms too. Everything died on the MFD. Fortunately, the dealer realized what was going on, yanked the DICE and things went back to normal.

This is not to say I don't like what the DICE does for the car, but maybe a little note from them when you buy the attachment saying not to freak out when you car's MFD system unexpectly dies one day.

Oh, for Vagabond - my iPod DICE was bought through a PC group buy on 10/5/06.

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HappyPig @ Jun 2 2007, 08:15 PM) [snapback]454185[/snapback]</div>

Pulling the DICE doesn't prove that it was the problem - when you unplug something from the car's computer system the whole thing resets anyway. And since the 04/05's have a faulty MFD anyway...

But it would be best to swap it out with the latest code, alot's changed with the current gen.

8. MatL

MatL Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Jun 3 2007, 01:55 AM) [snapback]454287[/snapback]</div>

This weekend in MP3 mode and Dice mode it worked OK all weekend in our 07 Prius -- still waiting to see where we are at by Friday.

This adapter was from the priuschat group buy with a purchase date of 05/2/2007.

let me know if you need any more info or want any other details....
    mat

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MatL @ Jun 4 2007, 09:29 AM) [snapback]454981[/snapback]</div>
    That's right around when we released the current gen, so you should be good.

10. jpoel

jpoel New Member

I had the same problem - with three DICE units. I put in the VAIS Technology unit last Friday and have not had any problems so far. It also gives much better control of the iPod via the MFD. The only downside is that you cannot control the iPod from it's click wheel when it is hooked up to the VAIS. One HUGE advantage is that you can update the VAIS from a laptop using a $49 USB connector that hooks to the iPod cable - do you don't have to remove the unit from the dash to update the firmware, unlike the DICE.

11. sbc455

sbc455 New Member

I bought a new DICE iPod unit directly from DICE less than a month ago. A week ago I had it dealer installed into my 2004 Prius. One week after installation, my MFD completely crashed -- nothing but the splash screen, and nothing worked. One of these PriusChat threads suggested pulling out fuse #39, which I did and which successfully reset the display. Everything appears to be working again. The question is: Does anyone know if, by leaving the DICE unit hooked up to my car, it could cause permanent damage? Is there some adjustment I can make to the unit itself that will stop it from crashing the MFD -- some sort of firmware upgrade or dip switch adjustment? Or should I pull the unit out and return it? Thanks.

12. Inches

Inches Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I installed the HD Radio & iPod DICE module a couple of weeks ago without doing the antenna. Today I finished installing the antenna on my own. I was looking for some tricks on how to hide the wires etc. Anyway I plugged in my iPhone and there was an error message on the MFD about not being a compatible device, I ignored it but did see that my iPhone was charging so I left it.

In the mean time I was playing with trying to find some HD radio stations and put them into memory, that kind of thing. I then went to iPod mode and it was playing music off the iPhone!! I tried a couple of thing to control the selections but by now it was getting a bit too warm in the car so I'll put that off for another time.

13. hmship

hmship New Member

My MFD occasionally freezes up as well. You can fix it by resetting the DICE unit (unplug the cable that goes to the radio and plug it back in.) I just put in a support request to DICE about it because it has been happening more frequently -- perhaps once every week or so -- and they claim it can be fixed by swapping out for a newer unit. Mine is on the way.

14. wmshax

wmshax New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jpoel @ Jun 11 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]459537[/snapback]</div>
    Can you say a little more about what you mean by "much better control of the iPod via the MFD"? I'm in the market for an iPod control unit for my 2007 Prius, and I'm debating between DICE and VAIS, so I (and I'll bet others) would be interested in your comparisons.

Thanks!

15. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inches @ Jul 15 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]479273[/snapback]</div>

Update your iPhone and the music out of the phone issue will go away. What wires were you trying to hide exactly?

16. rastarr

rastarr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hmship @ Aug 8 2007, 06:10 PM) [snapback]492674[/snapback]</div>

I'm having this exact same issue with my 05. Never got the DICE to work properly with my wife's 06 - no matter what DIP switch configuration, I can't control either of our ipods with the steering wheel.

They sent me an RMA to return them so they can send me "updated" units, but I only bought these things in May! I've asked them via the website if they'll reimburse me my shipping costs. Why should I have to pay for shipping their stuff back when they were the one's who sent me a product that doesn't function.

Haven't heard back on that one.

17. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rastarr @ Aug 11 2007, 09:39 PM) [snapback]494212[/snapback]</div>

They will send you UPS shipping labels by email if you ask.

18. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jpoel @ Jun 2 2007, 10:34 AM) [snapback]453955[/snapback]</div>
    It's not a real failure, and you probably didn't need a new MFD. Yes, really the whole mileage gone, can't control the climate control, no stereo of any kind, no MPG, etc. Just disconnect the DICE unit's connector cable for a few seconds and then reconnect. "MFD failure" cured. (Yes, this is the voice of experience). :rolleyes:
    I installed the DICE unit by the lower glvebox so it's easy to access. This has only happened to me once in 4 months though. My dealer was convinced I needed a new MFD until I found the answer on PriusCHat.

19. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Ok, after reading all these posts not sure I am going to spring for the DICE unit in the next couple of months, maybe just be happy with the center AUX plug.

20. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    this thread looks dead, but I'll add my experience. I've used the dice+ipod on my 2004 for years (part of the original group buy). Occasionally, the ipod would freeze, but disconnecting the dice from the radio head unit (it emulated a cd changer) would get it going again. Then a couple of months ago the MFD would freeze but I still had ac+radio functionality via the steering wheel. It didn't really freeze up, just got really, really slow. for example, push an MFD button and in 10 s or so it would responds, usually negatively. Oh, and it came and went for periods of days at time. Looked like a classic case of a pinned input bus, but it didn't occur to me that it was the dice since it was plugged into the radio. First guess was loose or shorting connectors, so while taking the dash apart I unplugged the dice and voila everything worked fine. Haven't had time to look into it further but my guess is the dice is flooding the radio with input (track info?) and the radio is dutifully relaying the garbage to the MFD. I'll get by with cd's for now. So 20th century.