1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE/iPod Success

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by biff_debris, Jul 17, 2006.

1. biff_debris

biff_debris WOOF!

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just wanted to report my success at installing the DICE iPod adapter in a 2005 Prius with the navigation system.

Truly as simple as plug it in and go! The hardest part was removing the air vent cover...

I had no idea where the "tabs" on the air vent were located, so I didn't know how I should go about pulling the thing off. It turns out that there are six tabs: two at the top, two in the middle and two at the bottom, all horizontal and facing the same direction. They have a yellow, I do not know, V-shaped thingy that kind of squishes into the rectangular holes in the dashboard. One of them popped off when I pulled on the air vent panel. I eventually found it, but long after the installation was complete.

Anyway, I tested it out when I first plugged it in, and all the functions seemed to behave as described in the literature. But, I like to leave my iPod in shuffle/song mode, so the MFD controls sort of worked against me. I don't really use playlists at all, and re-initializing the iPod whenever I turn the audio on isn't what I'm looking for.

So, I set the DIP switches to iPod mode.

I don't get to control the playlists or see the track titiles in the MFD, but I get perfect audio (I can now hear the bad MP3 encoding instead of the the bad FM noise from the iTrip). And I get to skip a track by pressing the ^ button on the steering wheel. When I turn audio power off, the iPod is paused and put to sleep (perfect!). And, when I plug it in again, it picks up right where I left off. I can't ask for more!

Regarding the installation, the various literature I've found suggests either putting the DICE box in the glove compartment or into the drawer at the bottom of the center console.

I started with putting the DICE box in the glove compartment, but didn't like the iPod connector coming out at the edge of the compartment door, or having the box take up space in the compartment.

There's a panel below the glove compartment (why do they call it that, anyway? Do *you* keep gloves in there?) that has just two tabs at the top, and some sort of diaper looking material inside. It's easy to pull off. There's also a nice big rectangular hole in it. And, there's just enough space to wedge the DICE box in at the left side.

So, I routed the cable from the radio through the big white wire connector (the one that you have to move out of the way to install the thing) and down below the glove compartment. Then fed the iPod cable out through the rectangular hole (I really should take some pictures!).

The iPod cable can easily reach the ash tray holder where I normally put my iPod, and the glove compartment opens and closes without a problem.

If anyone else in on the group order has any tips or suggestions, I'm eager to hear them!

Thanks to Danny for the group order (although I was unaware of it when I placed my order), and congratulations to Danny for finally getting a decent vehicle!