1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE (or other) for iPod with Package #6?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by imichaeldotorg, Apr 22, 2007.

1. imichaeldotorg

imichaeldotorg New Member

Just got a 2007 with package 6 - it has a 6-CD changer already installed in the car. Am wondering if I want to use a DICE unit to connect my iPod, will I lose the 6 CD changer functionality? I keep hearing people talking about plugging the unit into the "CD Changer" port.

Also, is DICE the best unit out there? Does it display track info on the screen?

2. mike.s

mike.s New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iMichael.org @ Apr 22 2007, 07:47 AM) [snapback]427709[/snapback]</div>
    Best for what's promised. Worst because it doesn't do what's promised.

3. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike.s @ Apr 22 2007, 05:02 PM) [snapback]427921[/snapback]</div>

I tried dice and it did'nt work for me, probably due to a bad unit. They were very happy and quick to exchange it. By that time I decided to ditch it completely for the Vais Tech SLI and am very happy with it's performance.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The DICE iPod unit worked fine in my 2005 Prius. It displays track, artist, and album name on the MFD. You keep all your CD Changer functionality; the DICE is seen by the head unit as CD2.

Which is the source of most problems: The head unit doesn't know what an iPod is, so the DICE unit has to pretend to be a weird CD changer with different "disks" mapped to different functions to control your iPod. Disk 1 is the current playlist, or if no playlist is selected, the entire contents of your iPod, sorted by artist name. To switch playlists, you switch to "Disk 2" and then each "track" is a playlist. Other "disks" have other functions. It works, but it's klugey and confusing.

On my 2007, so far I've burned some MP3 CDs. The head unit does understand folders, so I can make a folder that corresponds to an iPod playlist and play that folder. The MFD shows song info, but you can't browse while moving... I play my iPod through the Aux input in the center console and choose a playlist on the iPod while stopped.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iMichael.org @ Apr 22 2007, 04:47 AM) [snapback]427709[/snapback]</div>
    You'll keep your in dash changer. You'll see a 2nd CD changer with the DICE kit installed, that's how it talks to the car. You'll see artist and track info on-screen. The iPod charges while it's plugged in and the car is on, and you will be able to control the music from the headunit/steering wheel or iPod.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike.s @ Apr 22 2007, 02:02 PM) [snapback]427921[/snapback]</div>

?