1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE Prius iPod Integration Unit now works for the 2006!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I heard some great news this weekend from the folks at Dension. The DICE iPod Integration unit is now working for the 2006! Dension is requesting a couple of beta testers, preferably local to the Southern California area. They'd like for the beta testers to give the units a test run early this week and then hopefully we can start taking orders by the end of this week for all of those 2006 owners who have been waiting so long!

Please PM me if you'd like to be a beta tester, and I'll get you some info. Please keep in mind that if you want to beta test Dension would prefer that you are local to the SoCal area and are able to install the DICE unit within the next 2-3 days.

Danny

Original Thread:

http://priuschat.com/iPod-MFD-Integration-...Buy-t18651.html

2. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

Got my 06 beta unit today and it works fine so far.

dip switch settings are 1 up 2 down 3 up 4 up
    song text on screen and steering wheel control

3. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Sep 20 2006, 08:01 PM) [snapback]322550[/snapback]</div>
    How do I get my hot little hands on one?! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

Me, too. I pick up my '06 tomorrow. :D

5. babsie444

babsie444 New Member

I'm too far away to be a beta tester, but please give me a shout once the new gizmos are available to order!

(Although intergrating the iPod with the MFD might cause a severe coolness overload, I'm willing to take that chance...)

6. chimohio

chimohio New Member

This is gonna be a dump question about DICE (recognizing the word iPod is in the name) but does is iPod being used as a generic MP3 player name and does this work with any MP3 player or does it only work with an iPod. :blink:

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It has both an iPod connector and an AUX Input connector for non-iPod mp3 players. You'll need to buy the 3.5mm wire from Radioshack or similar for the AUX Input as the unit only comes with an iPod cable connector.

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    '06 users might as well think of it as "iPod only", since the aux connector it has in addition to the proprietary iPod dock connector serves the exact same function as the aux connecter in the center arm rest that comes with the car.

9. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Danny, i know you've had some trouble with the site this week and probably haven't been as concerned about this as the site, but is there any news about when this is going to happen?

10. motty99

motty99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Sep 20 2006, 07:01 PM) [snapback]322550[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have the 6 CD changer?...if so, does that still work?

Thansk!

11. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

yes it does, to get to the 6 cd changer you hit the "disc" button on the radio. That toggles between the two

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(motty @ Oct 3 2006, 05:35 AM) [snapback]327234[/snapback]</div>

12. motty99

motty99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Oct 3 2006, 09:51 AM) [snapback]327281[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent!...I'm going to put an order in for one...they seem to have it listed on the site, but I'm guessing that I might have to wait until the beta testing is over...

Thanks again!

13. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    When are we going to have a group buy for this? I'd rather get mine sooner than later, as i've got some weekend trips coming up that it would be really nice to have it on (plus, i'm cheep and would rather have the group buy rate than going at it on my own).

14. motty99

motty99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Oct 3 2006, 09:51 AM) [snapback]327281[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent!...I'm going to put an order in for one...they seem to have it listed on the site, but I'm guessing that I might have to wait until the beta testing is over...

Thanks again!

15. augustson

augustson New Member

Does anyone know if these units play well with smart playlists? I have a VAIS unit and it does not seem to update smart playlists (for examle if I only wanted to hear songs not played within the past week).

16. echase

echase New Member

Please count me in on a group buy... what do we need to do to get the process started?

TIA! :D

17. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    All my playlists are smart-playlists and they work fine. After creating the playlist, I usually right click on it and Copy to Play Order. Not sure if this makes a difference.

18. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Me too, me too! I want one...

19. augustson

augustson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Oct 3 2006, 02:09 PM) [snapback]327397[/snapback]</div>
    Let me clarify... Let's say you had a smart list that said, "Play any song that has not been played today" and limited it to 10 songs-- once a song in that list played, would it remove the song and put another in its place?

Also, does the DICE unit keep track of the new "skip" attribute introduced with iTunes 7? (Skip count, last time skipped, etc.)

When connected to my VAIS unit, my ipod will keep track of the TIME that something was last played, but that's about it. It won't add to the play count and it doesn't register when I skip a song either. And when I have a smart playlist, the ipod won't update the list while the VAIS has control.

20. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Also to clarify, you get this sort of action from the iPod when using it normally, correct (ie with headphones, not connected to the car or played through iTunes)? I've never used one that generates based on playcount or the new skip feature, and i can't tell if my iPod by itself tracks that info, or if it's just tracked in iTunes.

My understanding of the Vias (and Dice) technology is that it simply integrates the control (play, pause, next, etc) and the visual aspects with the car. I don't believe it changes the actual operation of the iPod at all, and find it hard to believe that Apple would make it possible for a device like this to change some of its basic functionality of the smart playlists. along those lines, i did some searching and found this article: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...050421123518904

It summarizes that smart playlists don't work as expected on the iPod. you have to browse to a song, go up to the top level menu, or play a song from another playlist for the smart playlist to update itself. Thus if you just stick it in the car, hit play, and leave it at that with just 10 songs on it, they'll repeat until you change something. So, make a smart playlist like that with only a few songs and test it with headphones, see if it works like you expect, or like the article describes. This may answer the question and send you off to Mac's forums to complain instead :lol: