1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE/Sirius Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DavidTO, Oct 28, 2006.

1. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

I had two things done today on my stereo ('06 Prius):

1) I had the DICE installed.

2) I had the ugly, large Sirius antenna that the dealer installed with a smaller, external antenna.

Problem: The sirius signal is seriously worse. I was under the impression that the external antenna, even though it's smaller, would be better. It's pretty much unuseable, cutting in and out and taking forever to settle on a signal.

Question: What are the chances that the problem is not related to the antenna, but to the install of the DICE? Was I mistaken to replace the antenna? Aside from signal strength, I really wanted to get rid of that ugly, large antenna in my windshield. They'll put the old antenna back and refund me my money for the new antenna and install, but I want to make sure that's the right thing to do, first.

2. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

So I went back, and we changed the antenna location to the front. That seemed to help, but ended up not helping at all.

I went back again, and this time we reset the receiver by disconnecting the power. All of my presets were gone, so I know that it was reset. That helped immediately, it was 100% better, UNTIL: I activated the DICE. Once I activated the DICE, the Sirius was never the same, and was back to it's wonky, intermittent, completely frustrating uselessness.

So, I guess my new and revised question is: has anyone had problems with the DICE and Sirius? Is it possible that the DICE is messing up my Sirius? Is it a simple solution that I can do, or could I have a defective unit?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

3. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does anybody have the DICE and XM hooked up? Is there a similar problem?

4. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 28 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]340106[/snapback]</div>

Hey, let's get my problem fixed first, eh? :lol:

UPDATE: I sent a trouble ticket to DICE, to see if they can figure anything out about this issue.

5. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Oct 28 2006, 05:07 PM) [snapback]340110[/snapback]</div>

I have this problem with my Sirius and Dice. If you start the car with Sirius it will work fine. If you switch over to Dice it will also work fine. When you switch from Dice to Sirius the signal takes many moments to settle. If more people have this problem we can get Dice to update the software. Till then start your car in Sirius if you intend to listen to Sirius.

6. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Oct 28 2006, 05:13 PM) [snapback]340112[/snapback]</div>

Sorry you're having the same problem, but it sure is good to know that I'm not alone! :D

Have you contacted DICE about this?

7. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

not yet but I will

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Oct 28 2006, 05:24 PM) [snapback]340117[/snapback]</div>

8. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Oct 28 2006, 05:07 PM) [snapback]340110[/snapback]</div>
    Not trying to change the subject. If it happens on XM too, then it is something wrong with DICE. Trying to narrow down the possibilities.

9. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 29 2006, 05:56 PM) [snapback]340428[/snapback]</div>

I know, I was just kidding. I'd love to know if it happens with XM, too. That would be very useful information.

And yet, I am convinced that it is a problem with the DICE. It's all that it could be. I've eliminated all other causes.

10. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Oct 29 2006, 05:06 PM) [snapback]340433[/snapback]</div>
    I just installed DICE today on my package 8, 2006 with XM. It seems to be working fine. The XM plugs into the second socket from the right on the radio. I can't imagine that the Sirius install is any different than the XM. I had to daisy chain the XM into the pigtail cable of the DICE. Both sides sound good.

11. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 29 2006, 07:24 PM) [snapback]340465[/snapback]</div>

Sure, it sounds fine, but the problem is as pre-cbs states:

Have you tried going back and forth between the two? Because my Sirius will work fine until I go to DICE and then back again. That's when the trouble starts.

12. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

Anyone else with this problem?

Anyone with this configuration who does NOT have this problem?

13. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

UPDATE:

After waiting 2 days for a reply to my support ticket on the DICE site, I got impatient and emailed, asking how long I should have to wait for a response. I got an IMMEDIATE email response saying that much of their team was out at some trade show, so they were backlogged, and that I could email back with the details, or better yet, just call them.

So I called, and within 10 minutes had an RMA for the old unit and a shipping notice of the new one. They're thinking it's a defective unit. I doubt that it is, but I'm wiling to give them the benefit of the doubt.

14. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

They sent me a second unit and it has the exact same problem. It's got to be an incompatibility with the toyota sirius unit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Nov 1 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]342129[/snapback]</div>

15. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Nov 1 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]342137[/snapback]</div>

NOW you tell me? :D

I'll call them back.

16. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Nov 1 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]342137[/snapback]</div>

Any update on this?

17. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

So DICE finally admitted that it's their problem. They expect to have it resolved in about 2 weeks. We'll see!

18. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DavidTO @ Nov 13 2006, 10:16 PM) [snapback]348592[/snapback]</div>
    I just got back in town. I'll call them also. Who did you speak with?

19. DavidTO

DavidTO New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Nov 14 2006, 12:18 AM) [snapback]348620[/snapback]</div>

I posted a trouble ticket and finally got a response