1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DICE unit install problem in '05 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by zacharyh, Dec 16, 2007.

1. zacharyh

zacharyh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So I got my unit, tested it and everything worked as advertised. I have it in simple mode since i'm using it with my iPhone and want to be able to use the phone to scroll through my songs.

here's my problem...the connector that plugs into the back of my head unit won't stay in the port by itself. When I push it in, it will pop out just enough to lose connection or all the way out in a matter of 15-20 seconds. The plug doesn't "snap" into place.

I tried taping over the plug but that still doesn't work since if the plug isn't ALL THE WAY pushed in, connection is lost. Does anyone have any advise or remedy for this?

Vagabond, is this a common problem or do I have a faulty plug possibly? I'm thinking about taking it into an audio install place and let them figure it out if I can't.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    DICE plug in back of radio

Mine never clicked in either although the only time it came out since the install was when the cabin air filter needed changing. The cable was in front of it and it got dislodged.

3. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll third this. Mine would not snap into place either. Works though. I beleive this is a very common problem, but why they can't make the plug fit is beyond me....

4. zacharyh

zacharyh New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fixed!!

Thanks to Vagabond's PM that told me that sometimes you have to puch "really REALLY hard" on the plug to get it to snap, I grabbed a long flathead screwdriver and a small mirror and flashlight and was able after a LOT of effort, to get the plug to "snap" in.

And everything is working fine now. Whew, man that plug put up a fight though.

Hope this helps anyone else stuck in the same boat. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll second the "you have to push really hard" argument. The first time I installed it, I thought I had pushed it in hard enough (and it certainly worked for a while). However, after it popping out a few times, I put a lot of force onto the plug and finally felt it click into place.

If you're not sure that you've felt it click, your plug probably isn't in all the way. When I first installed it, I thought, "Hmmm. I never really felt it click, but it seems like it's in as far as it will go, so I probably just didn't notice it." When I went back to do it the second time, the feeling of the click was unmistakable and I was then *sure* that I never felt it click the first time.