1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did Acura just gave up on hybrid again? RLX hybrid gone on their US site.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by dipper, Mar 18, 2015.

1. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Noticed that their SH-AWD RLX hybrid model is now official removed on acura dot com site. Wonder if anyone know of the story?

Since most of the design will be similar to their new NSX, wonder if they are running short with parts or are just dropping because it is a stinker.

2. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Because the regular RLX isn't selling well, so why continue to market / invest in an even slower selling hybrid version? More precisely, only 3,413 RLX's were sold in 2014 - which is pathetic for what is supposed to be the brand's flagship.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they probably want to get the accord hybrid right before moving it into acura.

4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, apparently Acura ILX hybrid is no more for 2015? Compare Side-by-Side

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Acura Kills ILX Hybrid For 2015; Only Two Mild Hybrids Left
    Low sales, but it is also the old IMA system.

The RLX was using their 3 motor system. The Accord has their two motor system. I think RLX hybrid was out before the Accord.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Weird. The RLX hybrid is stil available in Canada (usually it's the opposite, like the absence of the Avalon Hybrid in Canada)

2015 Acura RLX

at least for 2015.

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Took another look at the Acura site. It is listing the 2016 RLX there. There are none available at the local dealer. They have 2015's and a lone 2014 hybrid. I bet more 2014's and maybe some 2015 hybrids could be found for those that look.

While the city mpg goes from an impressive 20 to 28, the high only goes up 1 from 30. That and the AWD just wasn't wowing enough to get someone to pay over $5000 more than the regular RLX.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just think honda is being too conservative with their new system. they are either unwilling, or uncertain. perhaps their past mistakes have been too costly and made them gun-shy.

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It doesn't seem to stop them in Japan, and RLX hybrid was available here for a couple years.

I think, and this doesn't apply to just hybrids, that they simply overcharge. The sold around 20 RLX hybrids a month for the last 4 months. There is 2014 near me listed with just 4 miles. Honda could be taking it slow, or by the sounds of this article, 2016 Acura RLX Gets AcuraWatch Driver Aids, Chassis Tuning, there is nothing to see. The refreshed 2016 is available now because all RLX sales have been poor. Honda didn't announce any cancellation of the hybrid, and it sounds like they are continuing with it. Getting released later could be the only reason it isn't on the site now.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A pity though. The RLX Hybrid's powertrain looks impressive on paper (haven't driven one yet). It's like a mini version of the hybrid systems in the 918 or P1 where the enhanced SH-AWD can distribute power with the electric motors and battery rather than relying on the engine and differentials.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any one heard any preliminary reports of traction packs prematurely weakening? .... regular hybrid or their PHEV (all 300 or so, that they sold in 2014) ?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not me, it just doesn't make any sense. and cycledrum spends a lot of time on the forum, and has nothing but good things to report. except availability and sales.

13. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Don't worry. They will have it in their new NSX.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Or on the RLX by the end of the year. It is only March 2015, and the website is showing the 2016 model as the one you can get now. It seems all Acura sales have been poor, and they started selling the refreshed 2016 RLX now in an attempt to boost sales. The rush to do so likely meant focusing just on the ICE version now. While they could still cancel the hybrid, nothing official has been stated to that affect.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure why acura never caught on like lexus, they make a nice product.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Except the MDX. That's the breadwinner.

Cachet. The same reason why someone would rather spend $35,000 on a 3-pointed star product over a $35,000 Acura even though the Acura will offer more features and is a better bang-for-your-buck.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Another cachet is that Honda is overpriced.
    I spent $15,500 on an automatic Honda Fit last year and this week installed an Alpine CarPlay receiver and soon to be reverse camera.
    So about $16,000 for an extremely reliable, nicely techy, small car that gets about 40 MPG overall in our hands.

I'm delighted with the value.

#17 SageBrush, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  18. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have to remember that at those heady prices, Acura competes with Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc... Having driven some, I'd take the A6 hands down. I'd rather buy an Avalon hybrid than the Acura, I could buy my daughter a new car with the change. Those that are in the market for cars in that price range, don't feel it competes well with others. I would agree, it doesn't have that "feel", either driving or ride or handling. Having a hybrid version of a very expensive car really doesn't do it for most. The low volumes will keep the price high too.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When Acura first started I followed the news closely. Was seriously thinking to get a Legend. Then they switched over to letter designations for all the models, Introduced a wack of new models, I was lost.

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Then the Acura faithful were unhappy with the chrome beak and sharp lines design.
    That seems to be a must for luxury brands now. At first, it did follow some logic with the numbers following engine size, but now that no longer holds for marketing purposes. Tesla uses the pack size in the name with a P for performance or D for dual motor with the Model S. That will likely hold when the X comes out. Those letters also make sense for sedan and crossover, but the next car will be a Model 3.