1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did any of you get the Civic Hybrid update?

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by That_Prius_Car, Oct 26, 2010.

1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure how true this is, but I herd about Honda recalling their Civic hybrids to install an update that's supposed to "better protect" the battery by simply, using less of it. What does that do? Decrease mileage, reliability, and power. One man supposedly said "I bought my Civic hybrid brand new in 2006, I got the new software update that Honda said was supposed to "Make the car run better." After the update, I now get 28-34mpg from the 45-50mpg I used to get. Also, the car is horrible sluggish. I am seriously afraid to pull onto the freeway." and he went on about how it was not the same. A girl on YouTube is having problems as well, along with a few other people. This seems to be happening to the HCH-II (2006-present) models. I can see as how the mileage would go down. Basically, Honda made the car use the gas engine more, and I can also see why the car would be sluggish. Think, the Civic hybrid's 0-60 time was 12.5 seconds, imagine taking away some of the torque and power from the electric motor, that leaves the 88hp gas engine to pull the 2,700 pound Civic. Hmmm. Any thoughts?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah. I don't know first-hand but we talked about this on a recent What Drives Us episode. What Drives Us | Alternative Fuel Weekly Podcast

It would seem that their definition of "protecting the battery" is what you described: use the battery less. From reports, the Civic Hybrid achieves barely better mileage than the standard. It would seem that they have chosen to screw the owners in order to make sure the batteries last just beyond warranty.

3. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's really unfortunate.
    It makes me wonder if they should have used the type of batteries that are in the Gen.II Prius instead of their D-cell type, and also used the 20%-80% SOC spec. That would offer better electric assist range and a longer life of the battery and probably a higher MPG. Oh well, it's not like Honda's listening to me haha. Just my thoughts.