1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DId Dealer Use Right Oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by hubmacfan, Sep 10, 2013.

1. hubmacfan

hubmacfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had my first oil change since I owned my car on Saturday. Took it to the local Toyota dealer and had them change the oil and rotate the tires.

On the invoice/work order, it says they used 0w-20 oil. On the little reminder sticker that they put on the windshield, it says 5w-20 (and that I need another change in 5k miles instead of 10k).

Is there anyway to tell which oil they used? (I know you can use 5w-20, and the manual says the next time, use 0w-20. I'm mainly concerned because I paid for a synthetic oil change).

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Paid? First two years(25,000) are free.
    Did you specify what viscosity oil you wanted?
    Did you pay the difference for synthetic (which is what it takes)
    "Got it Saturday", I change at 1000 when new but 100?
    I'd definitely do it myself,btw

So call the dealer and have a conversation, chances are the person that put the plastic reminder on just wrote 5-20 out of habit.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have to ask?
    You'll never know for sure unless you watch them do it.

Chances are good that they did, and I suspect that the mechanic just goofed on the sticker....or maybe they had the invoice pre-printed with what they SHOULD have done.

It's pretty simple, really.
    If you don't plan on learning how to do oil changes and other routine maintenance yourself, then you really ought to file the invoice away (or throw it away) and don't worry about it. As easy and cheap as it is to do this type of work yourself, some people just can't or will not do it themselves.
    If I were you, I would let Toyota keep swinging wrenches on your car for free until the Yota-Kare scam runs out, and then I would develop a relationship with an independent wrench. Even in the Hattiesburg area, there are bound to be one or two mechanics that work on Priuses, and the maintenance on this car is simplicity itself.
    That way....you can purchase the fluids and filters yourself and drop them off with the car, and you'll be mostly sure that the work is done somewhat correctly.You can of course keep taking it to the dealer, but I've found to my sorrow that they're much more likely to cut corners, offer un-needed maintenance (injector cleaning, A/C maintenance, etc...) or just out and out screw up the job that you're already paying them to do.

Did you go behind the dealer and check the oil level after they changed the oil? ;)

4. hubmacfan

hubmacfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, I did check the oil level and make sure the lug nuts were tightened. My ex father-in-law actually had a wheel come off after getting his tires rotated one time because he didn't check.

My car was out of Toyota Care before I bought it, but I took it to the dealer because I thought they would be less likely to screw it up. Next time, I'm probably taking it to the mechanic that did the maintenance on my previous car.