1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did I get ripped off?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by rosieox, Jun 9, 2005.

1. rosieox

rosieox Junior Member

I just filled up my tank for the 4th time since owning my prius. So far I've been very pleased with it. Because of the "how much gas is left at blinking bar" issue, we've been slowly pushing the mileage up and seeing how many miles we really have left with a safety margin.

My last tank I drove 460 miles, the computer said 50.1 MPG and the tank took 9.1 gallons, 50.5 MPG at the pump. On the other two tanks this has all been consistant. So we decided to push a little further maybe up to 10 gallons.

This tank the computer said 49.4 MPG and we drove 502 miles. I just got through putting in 12.4 gallons???????? I thought these tanks only held 11.9. That would also put my MPG at 40.4. Wth!

Has anyone else put in more than 11.9 gallons? Did this gas station rip me off?

2. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) rosieox,

First you must remember that all US 04 & 05's have a bladder fuel tank. That being said, your outside temp. will impact the amount of fuel you will be able to put into your vehicle on any given day.

Second relax and enjoy the car. Your engine is not even broken in yet. This is MHO.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree about the temp. and the bladder variance. But I still bet u got ripped off. Years ago I went to a gas station and the pump said i put in 24 gallons in my Volare which only held 20 gals. The kid at the gas staion didn't want to do anything so I charged my purchase and later complained to the credit card company along with a copy of my owners manual that showed the capacity at 20 gals. I told them that I had to have at lest 1 gallon left to make it to the gas staion. They sent me a refund for 5 gallons.

4. yoda

yoda Member

The bladder and temperature responses are valid - BUT....

The tank is still only as big as it is. Those issues do NOT explain being able to put over a gallon more into the tank then it can hold.

My opinion - Gas station ripped you off.... Report them to the weights & measures people.

Yoda

5. yoda

yoda Member

P.S.

Yes - I read your post and it's only .5 gallons more then the tank can hold. But come on.... Unless you where BONE DRY and running in EV mode only, there HAD to be at least a half gallon in the tank.

YOda

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yes, but Ray has been able to put 12.75 gallons without going dry, and the tank distance travelled agreed with the gallons.
    I myself have put in 12.15 after going about 680 miles. Actual MPG was lower than MFD, but not inconsistent from previous tanks.

7. rcroft

rcroft New Member

I remember reading in the paper several years ago of a gas station in California (LA area I think) that had reprogrammed their pumps to overcharge. They operated them that way for quite some time and even managed to pass the inspections.

It turns out that the state agency that does inspections of gas pumps (and scales etc.) would only pump 1, 5, and 10 gallons to test the accuracy of the pumps. The gas station had reprogrammed the computers in the pumps to be accurate as you approached these values, but inaccurate inbetween. I believe it was the flow rate that the pumps would adjust to do this.

So if you bought 1, 5, or 10 gallons, you got what you paid for, but if you pumped 7.5 gallons or more than 10, then it over reported the amount of gas you received and therefore overcharged you.

They were caught when someone who filled up a bunch of gas cans for his boat complained to the Weights and Measures agency.

8. rosieox

rosieox Junior Member

Thank you for all the posts and insight. I'll stay away from that station for awile and track the mileage and gallons for the next few tanks. I'll come back and give you all an update. (few tanks could take a month :D )

9. Porridge

Porridge New Member

Check out Seattle

http://www.ci.seattle.wa.us/consumeraffair...rs/fsgspump.htm

and see the number of failed inspections.

If you are in any doubts, contact your local www.[i]city[/i].gov and report them. Since this is a criminal offence (well in WA it is), they must investigate. Call your credit card company as well. If you pay for a product or service that was not delivered, they will reimburse you.

Me, I always fill up at the two same gas stations. Still cannot remember which one it was I filled up last at though. 514 miles on one tank whilst going into the Cascades east of Seattle, and put in 10.2 gallons to refill. Hills shmills. BTW, that little work out for the car improved MPG by 2 at 4,000 miles.

Adrian
    Prius 05 Package #5
    Dynamatted and 12" JL Sub Woofer

10. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rosieox\";p=\"97208)</div>
    Yea Rosie this is interesting..some it seem can strech their fuel tank bladders, but it takes awhile and outside temp really impacts this, cooler climate = less gas at fill up, warmer climate = more at fill up. My new one only takesa little over 10 gals with one hash bar remaining on the gauge