1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did i get taken to the cleaners on my extended warranty?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Turbogizzmo, May 10, 2008.

1. Turbogizzmo

Turbogizzmo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well I've done a lot of reading around here and the one thing i am worried about my purchase is the extended warranty price....

Looks like i paid $2150.00 "Platinum" "$0 Deductible" 7 years 100,000 miles.

Now I know I walked in with very little wiggle room in price with the Prius because I lucked out getting one that someone dropped out on the deposit but since this was my FIRST time buying a new car I want make sure I wasnt swindled also the dealer keeps calling making sure I am satisfied soooo perhaps they want me to check everything out. :)

2. greenlv

greenlv New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unfortunately you were scammed just like me. I was also sold the 7yr/100K extended warranty for $2150. The good news is that you have 30 days to cancel without any penalty. I've already contacted Toyota Financial Services and gone through the process. It is very easy.

As soon as I receive the refund check, I'll be ordering the same service through another dealer (recommended by Prius Chat). Look at the various posts and you'll see how much the dealer ripped us off.

3. Turbogizzmo

Turbogizzmo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do you have a phone number or process tips so i can get the ball rolling? Its all a learning experience to me, the dealer was great otherwise with customer service....its just the customers job to be diligent i guess....

4. Turbogizzmo

Turbogizzmo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well looks like because i didnt pay cash for my car, they will just refund it direct to a payment on my bill, no check, no price adjust or match.....this is according to the Financial Services....I am waiting on a call back from the dealership.

5. greenlv

greenlv New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good luck!!!

6. Turbogizzmo

Turbogizzmo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh man poor dealership is trying so hard, they are starting the paper work to cancel but keep saying there is NO WAY that I am getting a legit warranty for under 1k

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just keep after them for written proof of cancellation and refund.

8. MichaelSF

MichaelSF New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Turbo, I am a lawyer in California and I have dealt with litigation on those extended warranties. I have to go on a bike ride so have to make this quick.

Trust your instincts in asking about it on this Forum. Yeah, they are a ripoff. They are worthless.

The dealer who sold it to you gets about 50 to 70 percent of the money you paid as a commission. So there is a strong incentive to sell you the warranty and also to talk you out of canceling it.

Insist on getting your money back. Make sure they follow through and don't inflate the financing and sales price elsewhere to make up for the loss. [That would be illegal if they did that, but they might try. For example, they might say "Oh, that low APR financing was only good if you extended the warranty on the car, so to protect the Bank's interest/collateral." BS.]

Generally those policies require that you have a certain time period to cancel it [due to the fraud and ripoff aspect of these, and that many companies offering the warranties go bankrupt, state laws mandate a cancellation period.]

April 2008 Consumer Reports Annual Car Issue did a story on these warranties. Get it from the store magazine rack. CR said they are a ripoff and that fewer than 10% of the people who bought these policies had a net gain, meaning that they made a claim within the warranty period that exceeded the amount paid for the warranty.]

And don't fall for their sales pitch on what the warranty covers. There's lots of fine print designed to make it difficult to make a claim.

CANCEL THE POLICY! And do it in writing so the dealer can't claim you did not cancel it. You say the dealer is good, but IMHO a good dealer would not sell you a worthless policy for a top end price, $2k is a LOT to pay for such warranty.

Read Consumer Reports if you don't believe me or think I am exaggerating.:eek:

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never seen a bad word written against the extended warranty offered in the PC store however I think if you drive a Toyota then the extended warranty isn't needed. See my signature.

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You got taken to the cleaners by a lot, not as much as others have, but still a lot.

Your dealer even charged you more than the MSRP of the warranty, which is $1850. And as you know, you can get the exact same warranty here through Troy/WarrantyShack.com/Toyota of Greenfield, MA for $990.

Keep pressure on your dealer. Get stuff in writing. Make sure it is cancelled and that you got a full refund.

Then you have up to 3 years/36,000 miles from the date you bought the car to decide whether to buy the Toyota extended warranty. If I were you, I would wait until the near last minute to decide whether to buy the warranty. That way you'll have 3 years of experience with the car and you'll know better as to (1) whether to get the warranty or not, and (2) which warranty, in terms of years and miles, to get. In this regard, note that if you elect to get a warranty with fewer years and/or miles, you'll pay 2 or 3 hundred dollars less than that $990 price for the 7yr/100k miles warranty.

BTW, IMO the Consumer Reports article on car extended warranties was really weak. But I don't want to get into it here. If you want to read different opinions on the pros and cons of the extended warranty, there are lots and lots of threads here on the subject. It's been discussed ad nauseum, several times over.

11. JRGris

JRGris New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Our dealer tried to sell us a lot of items. Warranty, interior protection, exterior protection, gap insurance etc. They were OK because when we said no there was no pressure. If they can get you to bite it is just extra money for them. I think that these products are much more expensive at the dealer and generally not worth the money.
    Same as extended protections on other products.

12. coot

coot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bought a 08 Prius through a Houston Texas Auto Nation Dealership, platinum warranty with a 50 buck deductible, 2300 dollars. Went through a recomended warranty site from Prius Chat, 990 bucks, no deductible, 84 months or 100000 mile coverage.
    When I called to cancel through the number on the policy, I asked who sets the price on these contracts and was told the dealership. Thanks Prios Chat for saving me a bunch of cash!
    To top it of I got 84 months coverage instead of 72 months.

13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow Coot, you got taken to the cleaners too. The MSRP for that 6 year Platinum Plan is $1350 for the 75,000 miles coverage, and $1625 for the 100,000 miles coverage. Glad you found PriusChat in time.

Here's a link to the Toyota Financial Services webpage with Toyota's different protection plans and MSRPs:

Toyota Financial Services

14. Turbogizzmo

Turbogizzmo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well my dealer ended up matching the quote....less work for me. :)

15. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mighty white of 'em lol. :p

But a good result for you.