1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did I mess up my transmission?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kellykungfu, Jul 7, 2005.

1. kellykungfu

kellykungfu New Member

Hi All,

I was going down a slight hill and parked rather quickly. Must of been 3-4 miles per hour when I hit the Power button before I came to a full stop. The car stopped extremely fast and I was jerked hard.

Did I mess up the transmission or engine? The car seemed normal after that.

Also, I noticed before that happened, that when I let my foot off the gas pedal, on a level street, the car seemed to slow down too fast. The emergency brake was off (at least the light was not on). I also put it in neutral and it seem to coast a tad better. Not too sure if I'm just being too sensitve about it.

Thanks,
    kelly

2. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You're fine. The tranny is built tough to withstand that kind of stress, but of course don't do it again.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey, Kelly.
    I can't speak for the transmission thing. I'm sure that soon enough someone with the tech specs will chime in.

As for the rapid deceleration, what you are experiencing is the "drag" of the regenerative brakes. The wheels are turning the electric motor to generate electricity to recharge the battery. But don't confude this with .

There are two ways to coast without this:
    1) a practice called "feathering" the accelerator pedal to create a state in which your MFD shows no arrows coming from the wheels, from the engine, from the battery, from wnywhere. You will notice that the car seems to accelerate. It's just that the drag has been removed.
    2) shift into Nuetral like you did. Some people do this on a regular basis since it's easier than feathering. Also, there are times when I just can't seem to get the "no arrows" state and [N] would do the trick.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's fine. I think >5mph, Park won't engage.

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Powering off engages the parking pawl in the tranny (or more accurately, its equivalent in the HSD system). Doing this while moving risks breaking the mechanical park lock.