1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did my 12-volt drain or is it worse?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Kingbreaker, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Kingbreaker

Kingbreaker New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys, I am in emergency mode here.

I left _something_ on the car running for 20 hours. Trying to determine, after the fact, what I did:

Option 1) Something that just drained the 12-volt (left the window wipers going is the biggest culprit)
    Option 2) the car engine running in "ready"
    Option3) the car engine in full-on drive mode.

The story is, I am at a music workshop/boot camp/party about 300 miles from home. I parked the car around 8:00-8:30 yesterday morning, got out all of my gear, closed the door, and forgot about it. I have about three quarters of a tank of gas (or I did when I parked).

I returned to the car at 3:30 in the morning. When I tried to start the car, I noticed a lot of flashing lots on the dash. (I do not remember what they were, because I was totally exhausted and not in an analytical frame of mind.) The EV system did not turn on. If I recall correctly, the window wipers _may_ have been running, but very slowly.

At 3:30 AM, the dome light _was_ working, but it was not bright enough to read the owner's manual.

I came back to the car just now, about 8:30 AM (24 hours after I last drove it). The key-detect system does not seem to be working. More or less anything that would depend on the 12-vote does not work. When I try to start the car normally (foot down, press the button), nothing much happens except for an emergency light.

Big Question:
    Is it safe to try to jump the car? And if so, do I need to leave it "on" to recharge the hybrid system battery?
    (or) Do I need to take it to a dealer and get the hybrid system recharged?

Any insights appreciated!!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    yes, you can jump it, but do not cross pollenize the connections!

you will need to charge/replace the 12v, depending on the state of health

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Leaving something on and running your 12 V. battery down is never a good thing especially when you are away from home.
    Welcome to Prius Chat, let us know how you made out and what you have learned to keep it from happening again.

4. mrrame

mrrame New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can easily jump the car (just like any regular car), hybrid battery is not connected to 12v battery.