1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did the Boston authorities overreact?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JackDodge, Feb 1, 2007.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional...rticleid=180378

"Panic was the order of the day in Boston as city, state and federal investigators, police and bomb units raced through the city seeking 38 of the devices, in some cases destroying them as a precaution."

The guys did it as a marketing ploy for a TV show. The authorities say they take this kind of thing very seriously but if that's the case, why did the marketing guys put all those things up where they did without anyone bothering to question them? At face value, it looks as if someone freaked out and got the entire law enforcement community involved only to find out that it was a marketing thing so the cops get angry as hell and try to punish the guys for allowing the authorities to make themselves look like fools.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It never says just what the "things" were, though the AP story says they were put in ten cities and had been up for over 2 weeks when the scare happened.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Feb 1 2007, 11:01 AM) [snapback]383882[/snapback]</div>
    my $.02

What if they under-reacted and they were real?? Which side of the coin would you opt for??

4. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 1 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]383888[/snapback]</div>
    You can see them in the photo gallery
    http://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/?title=adploy01312007

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    reading the article, you'd have thought that they were blocks of modeling clay shaped to look like plastic explosives with a small transmitter on top with a blinking light, not a sign made out of LED's and D-cell batteries...

6. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb 1 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]383896[/snapback]</div>
    Another sign of the apocalypse. I agree with D-man on this one. However, someone should pay for the manpower/time/supplies used. Maybe the marketing folks?

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Feb 1 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]383965[/snapback]</div>
    Could it be - we agree :) I think it so.

I think they and Turner should bear all costs and will obviously be meeting a lot of people in court for lost time. I hope no physical injuries were suffered from related activities to this whole mess.

Did you see the ding dongs on TV doing their press conference?

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Heck, I'll agree with the fine doctor as well. The officials should investigate all reports of suspicious activities and calls to 911 and all those things. However, that's why people get punished for making false reports and false calls to 911.

I agree that it's better to be safe than sorry in this case. But the argument also holds true that if something else was going on somewhere else in the city that required immediate attention, the ability of the authorities to respond would have been greatly compromised.

9. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect that someone must have wanted to conduct a realistic drill and used this as an excuse. Once they had people evacuated from the area, a bomb of the size of these things couldn't do very much damage. They must not have suspected it to be a chemical or germ attack because they blew it up.

I don't think they overreacted when they took this seriously, but there really seemed to be a lack of investigation. Maybe I've just watched too much "24" on TV, where I would expect someone in the field to take a picture of it with their PDA for some group in a bunker to run against an image database, link it to Aqua Teen Hunger Force and then demand an explanation.

Oh well, I'm a computer geek, not a counter-terrorist expert.

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Feb 1 2007, 01:23 PM) [snapback]383980[/snapback]</div>
    Which is a good reason why they shouldn't be overreacting about something that's been there for three weeks. The guys that put them there never threatened anyone, never made them look like bombs so some genius finally notices them, freaks out and gets the authorities to freak out too. That $750,000 in costs associated with the police meltdown was incurred by the police not by anyone else. Again, if it's so serious then why did it take them three weeks to notice, why did they let them put those things up all over town without noticing? If these areas are so sensitive to the law enforcement guys then why weren't they watching those areas in the first place? Also, why do they have to flip out and run all over the city, why can't they do their little bomb squad thing on one of them to make sure? Erring on the side of caution is a rationalization for overreacting. I hope the prosecutor gets laughed out of the courtroom.

11. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Feb 1 2007, 01:23 PM) [snapback]383980[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I guess I'd give him that one too. Except it still cracks my butt up in this post-911-changed-everything world that we are allegedly living in that these suspicious objects
    [​IMG]
    were only around for 2 weeks or so until someone finally noticed them and the big freak out occurred. So I guess as long as al Qaida doesn't plant a bunch of bombs with only a one week timer on them, then we are all fine...

12. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry, but the thread title is not a hair question.

13. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The government officials are going to be made fools of and are only making things worse by trying to criminally charge people for this act.

The reall scary thing is that this proves that these government retards can't recognize a real threat if it came up and bit them on the butt!

Moonenites for crying out loud!!!!

This act will fall squarely under the 1st amendment and the two guys will skate, a lot more famous, and the city will incurr untold legal expenses on a stupid trial.

A "hoax" implies that it was the intent of the perpetrators that these devices be mistaken for weapons, the city wil NEVER prove this, and will probably be laughed out of court by the jury. And were was the intent? These things were up for WEEKS!, and nobody called in a threat to officials saying there were bombs around the city.

Be afraid that your cities government is so out of touch with reality that it thought these devices were dangerous!

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think boston is embarrassed at the pathetic way they handled the situation and is now looking for a scapegoat to pay for their mistakes

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Feb 1 2007, 01:33 PM) [snapback]383990[/snapback]</div>
    I guess you are the only one! Everybody else and ME are actually on common ground here. So in the spirit of bipartisanship I will only point that fact out to you and let it stand on its own merrits.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Feb 1 2007, 02:14 PM) [snapback]384020[/snapback]</div>
    we shall see.

i prefer my govt to be overly cautious - what would you be saying if they misjudged these devices as a hoax and people died when they exploded.

here is a list taken from powerlineblog.com as to other promotional things they were going to do. what do think about these?

- Renting a 747 painted with the show’s name and flying it past skyscrapers in major cities

– Hiring young men to show up in malls, on buses and other heavily-trafficked areas who would suddenly whip open their coats to reveal a special vest with blinking lights, and begin shouting the theme song of the show.

– “Abducting†strangers, blindfolding them, forcing them to their knees and then broadcasting their videotaped “confessions†that they love the cartoon.

– Hiring young men to suddenly stand up on buses and airliners and loudly declare that the new cartoon is “da bomb.â€

– Planting hundreds of improvised advertising devices (IAD) that would suddenly flash, make a loud noise and scatter thousands of promotional fliers all over the road or sidewalk.

– Mounting a “viral†marketing campaign in which dozens of journalists would each receive an envelope containing a white powder along with a note daring the recipient to hold his breath until the debut of the new cartoon.

–Calling the White House, Pentagon, Supreme Court and other famous places and claiming to have planted a “dirty bomb†on the front steps, which turns out to be a paper bag full of dog droppings with the show’s logo stamped on the bag.

“These promotional gimmicks are designed to appeal to the kind of adult who would stay up late to watch cartoon characters who use foul language and obscene gestures,†the Turner source said.

I still bet they get nailed - just how much is my only question. An example will be made of them.

16. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think if any terrorist were paying attention they now know the operational capabilities of Boston to a multiple bomb scare.

Wildkow

17. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The sad thing is, those are the types of things that many people would find funny... if they saw them on TV or heard about them second hand. However, experiencing something like that first hand isn't going to gain loyal viewers - instead, it's likely to make people ticked off, like we saw with this one that they actually did (and which, i should add, was probably the most mild stunt of the ones they had down on paper)

18. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Now that I've read some more here, I've opened my mind a bit. (See how it works?)

So, it's a hoax, have the perpetrator's pay for it, etc. However, I wonder if the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome may take affect? If an embarrassing overreaction causes that, then yes, the city overreacted.

19. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have to admit that my initial reaction was: "Lighten Up"... we have lost our sense of humor, in the name of terrorism.

I realize that things are more complicated than that... but still...

And certainly, I don't think we should haul some poor guy into jail... for an honest prank like this - there may be restitution for costs...

20. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb 1 2007, 03:25 PM) [snapback]384022[/snapback]</div>
    Just checking, Dr. B, to make sure you know the above list is a joke. The source on this is a website, http://www.scrappleface.com/?p=2479, with the motto "News fairly unbalanced. We report. You Decipher," quoting an "An unnamed spokesman for Turner." Most of their content is obviously right-wing humor. You really should try to recognize fiction/humor sometimes. :p Or at least add a smiley to your post if you intended it as a joke.:)