1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did the EV Button Hurt My Mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by TonyPSchaefer, Apr 1, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There has been some debate - or at least discussion - about the impact of the EV button on mileage. From the biginning, I agreed with Evan that over-usage would directly hurt your mileage but I also held that if used discretely and at appropriate times, you could see an improvement in mileage. My theory seemed substantiated after my first EV tank and I posted about it here: [CLICK].

However, after entering the numbers after my most recent refill, I saw my mileage drop though the temperature increased. This was contrary to my last tank which I was so excited about.

I believe that I was so excited about my button, I abused it. By using it too much, my engine never really had the opportunity to properly warm up and I forced it to spend a lot of time in situations very much like the "first five minutes." Well, I've learned my lesson and plan to more responsibly use my button in the future. I just wanted to share this those people who are thinking about getting a button. Some have asked and here's my answer.

Check out my most recent results here: [Year2 chart]

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 1 2006, 06:17 PM) [snapback]233567[/snapback]</div>
    I use mine largely at the end of a trip where the car will be parked for at least an hour or two and if I find the SOC high (very rare). I think it helps but now will have to test it. Trouble is with the weather being so variable this time of year it is tough to be sure. What we need is 5 or 6 regional Prius User testing labs! Yep that would do it. B)

3. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've occasionally used my arcade style - in an attempt to deliberately rack up the best 5 or 10 minute average bars possible. When I do this excessively, there is a noticeable overall hit taken to the surrounding tanks MPG.

I stand by the laws of physics on this one, and believe that the EV mode switch can only provide any appreciable MPG benefit in a very, very limited set of circumstances that most of us will never experience. In average use, it may cause short term increases, but larger decreases long term.

It's a toy. It's a feature. It's *damn neat*. But it's not a MPG saver.

-Ken

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ Apr 3 2006, 12:05 AM) [snapback]234037[/snapback]</div>
    I suppose that it's possible that most people drive a steady speed and never stop...but for those rare few who do, occasionally, have to stop their car while driving I think the EV button can be a valuable means of making minor MPG improvements with very little practice.

Your car cannot predict your intentions. If you're cruising around through town with varying traffic speeds and such you may find that the ICE continues to run/spin even when you're approaching a stop and even while you sit stopped. It's become an almost unconscious habit for me to tap the EV button as I approach a stop as soon as the car slows to 34mph. Tiny little miniscule amount of gas saved...sure, but it's a little bit.

The added benefit there is that if you're in a long line you can inch forward much more confidently knowing the ICE won't unnecessarily start up until your turn to go through the light.

Do you pull into parking lots? Or out of them? Sure you do. I use the EV button on both of those occasions. Pulling in I use it much like I would approaching a stop. I wouldn't do this in a large shopping mall parking lot where I'll be driving a bunch looking for a parking spot, but smaller lots where I'll only go a short way makes perfect sense.

Leaving lots, I think, it's particularly helpful. They inevitably have very long lines going nowhere. Without EV the ICE starts up and runs while you sit going nowhere....complete waste. I start up, hit EV, get in line, and as soon as it's my turn to merge with traffic on the move I tap out of EV and off I go simultaeously speeding up warm-up and wasting less gas while warming up.

Those cover about 90% of the situations that EV is helpful and are very common situations that almost every driver encounters almost every day. They're not huge gas saving things, but do that for 30+ thousand miles, as I have, and you're saving gas in measurable amounts.

5. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My commute involves about 2 miles of stop and go traffic and a little hill of two, all 30mph until I hit the interstate where the ice is going to spin anyway, so bringing to SOC down to 3 bars doesn't really matter, and I get 2 miles "for free". I was never able to get EPA numbers over 20 miles stretches until I started using the EV switch.

This is another example of the car not being able to predict the environment around me. I believe in the laws of physics, but also our power to use them to our advantage. I let the Prius think of "the little things" while I keep my eyes on the big picture. :)

Dave

My commute involves about 2 miles of stop and go traffic and a little hill of two, all 30mph until I hit the interstate where the ice is going to spin anyway, so bringing to SOC down to 3 bars doesn't really matter, and I get 2 miles "for free". I was never able to get EPA numbers over 20 miles stretches until I started using the EV switch.

This is another example of the car not being able to predict the environment around me. I believe in the laws of physics, but also our power to use them to our advantage. I let the Prius think of "the little things" while I keep my eyes on the big picture. :)

Dave

6. Mardikes

Mardikes New Member

We intend to get one because our house is about 800 feet above town and we always drive 2 miles of the hills to go anywhere in the city. With our 2001 and 2002 Prius, we found ourselves coasting down the hill with the engine idling to warm up the catalytic converter.

I cannot believe it would not be better to use the EV button in this situation, since when we hit the bottom we have a fully charged battery.

George

7. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

I can relate to all of the posts to date:

1) EV overuse results in a huge drain. This is not just depleting the battery down to 3 SOC, but "overuse" should also be considered as down to 4 or even 5 followed by light driving where electric power remains prevelent (unless you're a master of deadband... I'm still novice/intermediate there).

2) Parking lots, driveways, and bleeding off the green seems to help at little cost.

3) Anticipatory driving (hey... isn't that a main part of Prius driving anyways) when the ICE just plain runs for no reason other than to seemingly annoy.

4) Getting on your way from START downhill. I do this every morning. I usually have 6-7 SOC at START and can EV across mostly level / slightly uphill roads to the top of the hill. Ride the brakes all the way down to stay under 34 mph and I'm still at 4-6 SOC when I pull the stalk again to engage the ICE for normal driving (I tend to do this rather than allow the software to kick me out).

5) Yeah... it's neat too.

I can't justify significant savings either in mpg or net benefit vs. cost. But I do enjoy it and gain satisfaction from turning the darn ICE off when it is not supposed to be on. I also "feel" like I'm getting something for nothing in #4 above. I'm fine w/ that :)

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A thought occured to me today that's somewhat implied and I assume generally understood, but maybe it deserves mention.

Probably more important to understand about the EV button than when to use it, is when to disengage it.

IOW, I can make you a brief list of times when it's bad to use. Don't use to accelerate from a stop for a long distance if you're at the front of the line...use the gas for that.

But if you're near the back of a line of cars that starts moving then it's prob. good/ok to use the EV button, but as soon as the traffic starts speeding up AND it's clear you're going to make it through the light then immediately disengage EV...don't let the SOC drop any lower than necessary once it's clear the ICE can and would be more efficient.

As I've said before, it is very rare that I'll use EV long enough to go down to 3 bars and quite unusual that I'll get as low as 4...almost always I engage and disingage when I'm at 5 or 6 bars (52-63% SOC for you CAN-View folk).

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 3 2006, 06:30 PM) [snapback]234446[/snapback]</div>
    That is good advice 52 to 63 in fact anywhere over 60% that you can use a bit of boost is not bad! Bleeding off the green is good.

10. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Will somebody please tell this newbie what the hell EV is?

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Apr 3 2006, 08:27 PM) [snapback]234507[/snapback]</div>
    Well, a search on "EV" will find several topics. In short, EV stands for "Electric Vehicle." When activated, the ICE (or Internal Combustion Engine) won't run and you'd run on the battery alone for about a mile or two (as long as the battery is up and you're going under 34 mph). The switch itself isn't available in North America (it's a Japan and Europe item), but the software is. Basically it's doing a quick ground from one pin in the computer. The EV will not activate unless the conditions are right, and will drop out if the battery gets too low or you're going over 34 mph. Used correctly you may save some gas, but remember, the battery gets charged from the ICE so it may run longer just to keep the battery up to snuff.

There are 4 main ways to get this in your Prius. You can get an OEM switch from Sigma Automotive (about $50), order one from Coastal Tech (which uses the "Cancel" part of your Cruise Control stalk and also costs about $50), convert the "flash to pass" part of your headlight stalk (this one's free as you use your own wire), or add a button (almost as cheap). Whatever you want is up to you. The OEM switch looks factory installed (but harder to install), Coastal's is the easiest to install, but there's a 2-second delay to activate, the flasher is the cheapest, but you lose the "flash to pass" part (a minor problem at best) and the "add your own button" is about as cheap, but you have to figure out where to put the button.

I don't use mine that much so there isn't much to say about my mileage. I mainly use it to go from the nearest store to home.

12. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please somebody tell this poor newbie what the EV switch is. I checked a post with abbreviations and acronyms, and it said EV is "Environmental Vehicle." Didn't make sense to me.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Apr 4 2006, 09:47 AM) [snapback]234673[/snapback]</div>
    Please read the post just before your last one...your question was answered last night.

See Also: This Article
    from our Articles section under the FEATURES dropdown menu.