1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did Toyota get it all right in 2008?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prim2, Nov 22, 2007.

1. prim2

prim2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    While I was waiting for my 2008 Canadian SE with Premium Package to arrive, I started to get cold feet as I read thread after thread about Prii being blown off the road by trucks or crosswinds if they didn't have a BT plate, and TC grinding everything to a halt on snow or gravel.

My experience is limited, but I've now operated with 40 mph crosswinds and have drafted (at a safe distance) and been passed by speeding trucks. I have encountered no untoward buffeting or degradation of handling to date.

Winter arrived in Southern Ontario with a vengeance today. The steep upslope at the the bottom of our laneway was coated in snow over ice. The new Prius handled the conditions without any difficulty. I then found an empty and slippery cinema lot and tried to get it to misbehave. It was deadly boring, but as competent as any car I've driven. I managed to get the slip light to flicker a few times during hard acceleration, but that's about it. Granted, I'm running on Nokian WRs instead of the stock Bridgestones, but I did not encounter any of the handling difficulties reported on earlier vintage Prii.

Does anyone know if the gains for the TC have been adjusted for 2008? I understand the 2008 Canadian SE may have the Touring suspension. Has anyone with the US Touring model found that it fully addresses the buffeting/steering problems reported by others?

Cheers,

(a relieved) Geoff

2. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey Geoff, those Nokian WRs are going to make a huge difference in slippery conditions, which is likely why the car is working so well for you. :)

3. prim2

prim2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've read that the WRs are pretty good, but surely there is more going here than just a decent set of rubber. (If not, I think we may have found a cheap solution to all those handling concerns.)

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I experience buffeting in strong cross-winds in my 2004. Allan, who drives a 2006, says he does not experience any buffeting. But strong crosswinds are rare enough here that there are not many opportunities to drive each others' cars to compare, to see if it's the cars or a subjective experience.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That and you have the wider tyres which may make a difference.

Edit: and the TRAC was revised late 2005 MY

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well I too have the WRs on my 2007 and it handles as you describe (15" wheels). It's the tires! Most of the comments you refer to were with the non-touring 15" wheels with the Goodyear Integrities. They are just "adequate" tires. We call them "rim protectors". I doubt you could find a cheaper tire. And you do get what you pay for, usually. Cheap tire gives cheap ride.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Nov 23 2007, 08:34 AM) [snapback]543225[/snapback]</div>
    one word - Motomaster :lol: :lol: