1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did tree sap destroy my car's finish?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nolen, Apr 25, 2008.

1. nolen

nolen New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So the other day at work I parked under a nice big shady tree, thinking that I'd save myself the "joy" of coming back to an inferno of a car when I got off the clock.

This didn't seem to please the tree gods and as thus, they left several globs of tree sap dried about my hood and dripped down the driver's side of the fender.

I wiped the globs off with almost no effort, using a wet paper towel and a little bit of vigor, but it looks like there is a sort of "residue" left where the globs were resting.

They feel rougher than the regular finish feels, as if the finish has been removed? My coworkers suggested getting a claybar and going over the spots to see if they will just work themselves out, then follow that up with waxing the affected areas.

How can I tell if the finish is actually removed or if it's just residue?

I've attached some pictures for reference.

Attached Files:

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The general rule of thumb in removing foreign material from your paint is start with the mildest cleaners and move to the more aggressive ones only if you need to. In this case, you should start with a mild chemical cleaner like Stoner's Tarminator, and only move to clay if the Tarminator can't remove the sap. Clay is really for removing bonded and/or embedded contaminants, and at this point, the sap can probably still be removed with Tarminator or similar tar/sap removers. If the clay doesn't remove it, it's on to stronger solvents like mineral spirits, although you need to be very careful, and rinse it off quickly after application.

3. nolen

nolen New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So do you think it's unlikely that those spots on the hood and fender are "finish"-less and just need to be cleaned up?

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ouch. That looks nasty, Nolen. I have a couple of little spots on the roof where some tree sap ate through the clearcoat. It was only there a few days, but I guess that was long enough. Bird poop is also highly acidic, and should be removed as soon as possible. Carefully, though, because it usually contains grit that will easily scratch the paint.

5. nolen

nolen New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Did you ever fix the affected areas? I'm assuming this is something a body shop would have to do for me, correct?

6. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    First try soap and water - prefer Dawn
    Then Goo Gone
    if that doesn't remove the marking then you are probably screwed. You should be able to run your finger over the stuff and tell whether it is on top of the finish or has eaten into it.

A very mild buffing compound (one safe for clearcoats) may be able to bring back some shine if it is damaged.

7. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This is some GREAT advice ....... please take it. You may spend a bit more time cleaning up the mess, but it will be well worth it in the end.

I'd beging with warm water and Dawn, and go from there.

Good luck, nolen. Please let the group know how it turns out! :)

... brad

8. nolen

nolen New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, I just got into Texas (from Phoenix, AZ) and tried the Dawn+warm water tactic as soon as I pulled up into my parent's driveway.

It's definitely a case of removed clearcoat.

What's my best option to have this fixed? Is it something easy that I could do myself or would it be best to have a body shop perform the work? What would something like this typically cost?

Sorry to bombard everyone with questions in my first post on these forums. You guys and gals have been awesome.

By the way, I averaged 52MPG for my whole drive down here (~1,000 miles). Not bad at all :)

9. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do you know the clear coat is toast? Please get a clay bar and some soapy water and try it. You have nothing to lose at this point.

Cheaper than a body shop would be a mobile detailer. They can most of the time help with any problem short of repaint. Look em up in your local phone book. Good ones can give you a ball park cost before you agree to a job.

10. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When I get tree goo on my car I first hose it down with cold water right from the garden hose, waiting for it to run long enough to get the warm stuff flushed out first. Seems as though the cold water dissolves most tree sap that drips from the majority of the trees around here. Warm water has a tendency to set the stuff. Once well rinsed, follow up with a more standard wash.

11. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Did video kill the radio star?