1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did you buy a Prius with 100K+ miles? Share your story here!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusCamper, Jan 28, 2013.

1. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Today is my one year anniversary of buying a perfect 2007 Prius with 102k miles on it... To honor this spectacular car now at 124k, I'll start a thread. So many are blessed with the experience of a reliable used Prius in the $10k price range, so here's some of their stories... If you're considering buying a used Prius that has more than 100k miles on the odometer, may this thread be loaded with success stories that make you pull the trigger!

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bought my 06 from Steve @ Autobeyours in Dec of 2011. It is a rebuilt salvage repair. It had 100,500 miles on it. It now has just under 110,000 and I'm happy to say it has had no problems. It looks and runs like new.

GaryDZ and PriusCamper like this.
  3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Purchased my 05 in Oct 2010. 134K miles then, 190K now.

No issues except for recalls and a used HID headlight leveling sensor from a Florida Lexus ($50 and my labor to repair).

Oil changes, ATF WS transaxle fluid change, air filters, wiper blades, PCV valve, & new tires is all I've bought so far.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I sure did - Bought my 2005 with 146,700 miles in December of 2011. That thing now has 170,000 miles. The wife drives the wheels off it and just lovcs it. We get 50-54 mpg in the Summer and 45-50 in the Winter here in MInnesota. As I tell everybody - if I would have known what a good little car these things are - I would have bought one years ago.

Tammyvoje, Bob G IA and PriusCamper like this.
  5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bought a Gen2 with 102k miles a year ago and it always runs great... I avoid snowy/icy conditions to a much greater extreme with this car though. Traction control should of been called "Drivetrain Protection" as it does more to make traction harder to achieve rather than easier. And of course this car will for sure run way better once I get rid of the stock Good Year Integrity tires, replace shocks, as well as stock 12volt battery.

A couple problems that are thus far minor and will likely be fixed under recall/warranty repair: 1) steering wheel stays twisted a few degress to the left in the past month even though car drives perfectly straight with no uneven tire wear, 2) Possible early signs of HV battery depletion, which is under warranty as long I make a good case to Toyota to address issue before 150k miles warranty expires.

6. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Bought mine in Nov w 101k. I'm at 105k now.

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You should consider the Bridgestone Ecopia 422s to solve your traction issue. Since installing them, traction is no longer a problem with the excellent grip the 422s provide. We had extremely messy roads in District 6 early this AM. Plows didn't clear the left lane on the Interstate. I'm driving at 50 mph and I'm having no trouble maintaining control even though I'm driving through half frozen slush at least 2 inches deep which would have caused the VSC to cry for mama with the Goodyear Comfortreads that were on it last winter.

Bob G IA, ewxlt66 and PriusCamper like this.
  8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, that's definitely the plan... I've also considered the Michelins for that tiny extra .02 increase in MPG over the Bridgestones but the price is so much higher for Michelins that I'm leaning towards the Bridgestones as the best return on investment.

9. SR13

SR13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Bought a Silver Pine Mica 2006 package #8 at 118K in May 2012 and currently at 126K. So far no issues and just wish my HV battery dies in the next couple of years before the warranty expires but looks like that is just wishful thinking ;-) Glad these HV batteries can go for a longtime if well cared for.

PriusCamper likes this.
  10. Bananaman

Bananaman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bought my 2008 3 weeks ago with 147,xxx miles. Clean, leather seats, a few dings in the panels but overall looks (and smells) like a new car. Paid $8,599 for it. All the recalls had been done and the car lot I bought it from changed the leaking ICE water pump. It did throw some codes at me at first, but I'm keeping an eye on it and replaced the old 12v battery and spark plugs. So far so good.

PriusCamper likes this.
  11. ataylorracing

ataylorracing ataylorracing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great thread, since I was kind of looking for a higher mileage, lower purchase price one...but out here in the Indy area it is hard to find any for under $15,000.

As far as tires for the winter and mpg...the wifes went from all around average of high 49s to high 43s with 195/65/15 studded snows...I am sure the rolling resistance of the tire and the extra wt is what did it, but on conditions like today where it is ABSOLUTE glare ice on the roads it is like driving on wet pavement. Of course, we are land locked in Indiana with her car because no surrounding states allow studded snows.

12. jacknyc

jacknyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One year with my 07, bought with 98.5k on odometer, now at 108k. This was an auction car, formerly a NYC municipal fleet vehicle, so it was serviced regularly, but not driven with care. Has many dings and I needed to steam clean the interior pretty aggressively. Paid $7500. Has needed nothing so far, except a 12v battery, and I'm not sure that was needed either, but seemed to improve my mpg numbers. Getting about 45 mpg overall. Poor handling in rain - I've spun out twice at reasonable speeds (new Ecopias in front, generic tires in rear w decent treads) and not great in snow. Other than that, very pleased!:D

13. Cezarcaz

Cezarcaz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bought my 2005 with 180,132 miles in April of 2012. It now has 220,000 miles.

All I have had to do to it is Gas, oil changes and changed the oem wheels for after market 18's.

Runs great.

Best $6500 I've ever spent

iPhone

14. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bought my 04 all option at 105K from a dealer in Indiana for $8000 in 03/2010. He said no one buys Prius in Indiana, stocked for 3 month, finally sell it at loss.

No any problem other than burning 1qt oil per 2000 miles since 150K.

At 176K today, my maintenance cost is extremely low, at 1 penny per mile. I buy refurbished 12V battery for $30, used good tires at $25 each, regular oil.

No sign of hybrid battery failing. Drives like new. Summer 50 mpg, winter 46. Good enough for me. I don't give it extra care other than regular self service. Plan on keep another 5 years, to 300K maybe.

Then I will get another Gen II, 06 or later, for less than $7000, and repeat above story. :)

DarkPri503 and PriusCamper like this.
  15. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Got the 05 fairly loaded in late Oct 2012, w/96k miles, a one owner car, and was serviced well but not driven carefully for $8600. Drives great, mpg is good, and no problems. I routinely ride a three hour ferry each way a few days each month in Ready mode listening to the stereo w/heat or AC. Have changed the oil and filter once so far and experience 1/3 quart use in 2,500 miles w/Mobile 1 synthetic 0-20. Very pleased with the car and the technology.

16. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    4K miles shy of qualifying but we'll let it slide - this time. ;)

17. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am a small pre-owned dealer in Tampa. I usually stock 7-12, 2004-2009 Toyota Prius. I have sold about 50 of them in the last year and have never had a major problem with any of them. Just a few minor issues that I have been able to repair mostly myself with the help of this site and Youtube. Most of the cars I stock have over 100k miles. I have only had to rebuild one hybrid battery pack. I was on a 2005 that was my personal car for about 6 months. It had 142k miles on it when I sold it. 5 days after the new owner had it he got the triangle of death and a battery code. I have a local mechanic who rebuilt the pack for him and he hasn't had a problem since. That is the only 04-09 Prius battery I have ever had to rebuild. The 2001-2003 Prius and 2003-2009 Honda Civic hybrids are an entirely different story. I have had to rebuild 50% of those batteries.

18. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks. I just wanted to go on record in the thread for that general mileage range. But I did buy a Prius that has over 100k. :whistle:

bisco likes this.
  19. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Bought my 05 with ~135k miles in July of 2012. It's now approaching ~160k miles with nothing but 5 oil changes. I imagine something will fail, but even if I had to replace the engine/trans right now the ~$1k-$1.5k it would run me would be more than offset by the ~$2k less I've spent on gas the the ~$3k less my fiance has spent on lease over-mileage charges.

ewxlt66 likes this.
  20. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow... What an incredible statement... I think people considering buying a used Prius will pull the trigger after they read this! Awesome!