1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did you buy your Gen III for Styling?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Penny's Dad, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Someone on another thread made me think. Did the styling play a major role in others purchase of the Prius?

It certainly did in my case but then I have always been drawn to what others considered rather odd looking cars.

I actually like the look of the second Gen Prius and the third Gen.

Other cars I have lusted after (never owned) and have been ridiculed for liking include:

Saab 900 (was a little before my time)
    Subaru SVX ( my unatainable dream car)
    Most D'silva designed Alfas (but then I am not so alone on that one)
    A couple of Citroen's

I assume most people who like the styling of the Prius have similarly eccentric styling tastes.

I assume many bought the car despite its styling but for other reasons including the envronment or economic or image reasons. But if you are actually attracted to the Prius shape and detailing then you must share some of my strange disorder. I believe I read elsewhere it is the #1 car in Japan. Perhaps I am "turning Japanese".

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ever since my high school band trip to Japan in 2005 I've been in love with Japanese styling. At the time there, everybody seemed to own a Prius or some cool little car. There's something about Japanese cars that scream efficiency, reliabilty, and badass coolness. The lifestyle in Tokyo reflects these qualities too. Tightknit and run like a factory. It's even more cultural than one would expect, at least for me.

3. DataWrangler

DataWrangler Prius Owner (finally!)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I like the styling of the GenIII much more than that of the GenII - but it took me a while to realize this. I prefer the "Five" version because of the full alloy wheels (I detest wheel covers). I also like the look of the dual LED low beams.

Other hatchbacks I (or my wife) have owned: 1974 VW Rabbit, 1979 VW Sirocco. For some reason I occasionally call my Prius "the Sirocco" ... senility must be setting in. I also have a strange attraction to the Pontiac Aztek, argueably the ugliest car ever made, which looks like it could be a "Prius XL".

4. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess the "sharp" elements of the 2010 design finally made me realize that it was also a cool lookin car! BTW, there is no argument, the Aztec IS the ugliest vehicle to ever roll across this planet!:p

5. TongMan

TongMan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I dislike the styling. I bought a prius for the gas mileage.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As I said in an earlier post, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
    I normally don't think of 'Prius' and 'styling' in the same breath...at least not in favorable terms for Priuses, but the G3 is a well executed design. To the unwashed non-Prius cretins out there, one Prius looks pretty much like the others---Toyota obviuosly did this for 'branding', just like Saturn used to with their 'swoosh' styling.

You have to credit Priuses at least for being iconic. Heck....even the 'ugly' kids out there have parents that love them!! :D

7. Seamaster

Seamaster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I'm not ordering a G3 because of the styling, but the styling of the G2 was enough to deter me from considering one the last time I ordered a new car. My view of the Prius's styling has gone from negative to neutral in the evolution of the car from G2 to G3.

8. wrexed03

wrexed03 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont mind the look of it. After all most here bought one. Wish it was wider. Looking at it side on is fine but from the rear looks a little odd. Now here in Aus we have the Camry hybrid. I prefer the look of the Camry over the Prius.

9. car78412

car78412 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When my wife and myself went shopping to a car to replace a well worn 2001 Highlander, we went to the Toyota Dealer and looked around the lot. She looked at the Prius without knowing it was a hybrid and fell in love with it. Now after driving it for 5 months, she loves the car and is very happy with her choice. I am considering getting one for myself but my 2006 Civic has been too reliable to justify the change.

10. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My decision was based purely on gas mileage. We narrowed it down to the Prius, Insight, and Jetta TDi. The Prius won... Since then, the styling has grown on me and I do prefer the Gen 3 over the Gen 2, but at the time of purchase it was not a factor...

11. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I thought the Aztec was the ugliest vehicle on the planet until the Prii came along, this is a case of "the end justifies the means"

12. TongMan

TongMan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can safely say that many of us bought the Prius mainly because it gets 50+ MPG. Granted that there are those who truely like the styling, but if the Prius only made 30+ MPG, we would rather buy a Civic Hybrid or a Camry Hybrid. These two cars look much more modern.

13. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't know if I would classify the Camry and Civic as modern, as much as to say they are more mainstream... The Prius is certainly unique as there is no non-hybrid version of it. The Camry and Civic Hybrids certainly blend in with today's cars, and if you weren't specifically looking for the Hybrid Badge, you may not know they were Hybrids at all.

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Although it wasn't a complete makeover, I think the GenIII is a huge improvement. I tried to buy a new 09 but it was strictly for the FE. Hindsight being 20/20, I'm glad that greedy dealer experience turned me off to the Gen II when I saw the first photos of the 2010 here on PC. That and the solar vent which, living in the south, I think is one the greatest ideas since canned beer. :rockon:

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really. It wouldn't hurt if the car was a tad stylish (and I must say, the Prius does look sharp with the 17" alloys. It helps accentuate the body creases better imo) but I went for it because the '05 did exactly as it was designed - get the best mileage and lowest emissions. Granted it had a few quirks (no height adjustment for the front seats, it vibrated quite harshly when the engine shut off when the car was new which most of you were spared since it appeared to be improved for 06-09, the steering wheel felt and sounded like my Logitech Driving Force Pro... that is to say no steering wheel whatsoever, and the most plastic I've ever seen on the interior door panel of any Toyota).

But it was cool. People liked the 7" touchscreen (some think it's a TV... I don't usually correct them =P) and the cool joystick and just the fact that you can drive around in EV Drive Mode (I have Coastal E-Tech's EV mod).

16. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I liked the Vented Glass roof as well, but like bottled beer it was a bit out of my budget! So, I went with the tin roof and continue to drink my beer from the can... ;)

17. Ted in Olympia

Ted in Olympia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Past styling keep me from buying a Prius but the Gen III new look did convince me. But I would not have purchased the car if it did not get near 50 mpg.

I also like the fact that it now has 4 wheel disc brakes. But I sure could do without the weird center console, in fact I would like to see none at all and a clear floor.

TED

18. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like the 3's, but the 2 is out there a bit more. The 3 just looks like any other Toyota! I do like the one with the solar panel roof thou. H

19. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ditto. My wife has suggested I get the Prius in the past but I wouldn't consider it until the Gen III came along. The 17" wheel Gen III styling is what pushed me over the edge. Even if I got the 15" wheel Gen III, I would have immediately upgraded the rims.

Now, I wouldn't mind getting the Gen II, but only if I upgrade to bigger rims.

20. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've always said that a modified Gen II looks way better than a Gen III. It's overall sleeker and 'ricier'. A stock Gen II though leaves much to be desired though. It sits too high for a car with such sleek curves (whether or not you think it's ugly, it does have sleek curves). I would gladly take my modified Gen II over any other Prius, except maybe those hardcore guys' Priuses in Japan.

The Gen III just looks heavy. People say the Prius is lame because of the heavy battery, well the Gen III looks even heavier with it's fat square a**. Ironically though it does have slightly more power and better undercarriage design so I'll give it that.