1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did you know?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What do you know that I don't and what makes you go Hmmmmmmmm?

I hope this topic will be educational as well as entertaining.

Here's mine. . .

The biggest ship in the world, the oil tanker Knock Nevis formerly known as the Jahre Viking, is 458 metres (1,502 ft) long. It is so large and has such a deep draft it is impossible for her to navigate the English Channel, let alone man-made canals at Suez and Panama. During the Iran/Iraq war, she was attacked by Iraqi jets and hit with Exocet missiles. The extensive damage caused by these attacks led to her sinking in shallow waters at Kharg Island.

This big oil tanker ships about 4.1 million barrels of oil or (172.2 million gallons) of petrol. Enough to drive a Prius (avg 50 mpg) 345,769 times around the earth or 8.6 BILLION miles! At highway speeds, 70 mph, that would take you 14,041 years to drive and would cost you $542.4 million dollars at todays average gas prices $3.15.

Although still capable of shipping oil she is now used as an immobile offshore platform for the oil industry

Wildkow

p.s. All that oil and potential economic loss protected by a single hull and 3.5 centimeters of steel!

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For the large scale disaster voyeurs among us, there's no better website than than This One. Scroll down to reach the Photo Gallery.
    It's amazing how much trouble the tiniest infraction of the laws of nature can get you into!

MB

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hmmmm.
    I'm going to have to think about this one. I don't seem to have any good nuggets of trivia. I might have to look one up.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Since I live in Michigan and like the water, I'll toss out some related facts:

Michigan encompasses 58,110 square miles (150,504 km²) of land, 38,575 square miles (99,909 km²) of Great Lakes waters and 1,305 square miles (3,380 km²) of inland waters. Only the state of Alaska has more territorial water.

The geographic orientation of Michigan's peninsulas make for a long distance between the ends of the state. Ironwood, in the far western Upper Peninsula, lies 630 highway miles (1,015 km) from the Toledo, Ohio suburb of Lambertville in the Lower Peninsula's southeastern corner.

After Alaska, Michigan has the longest shoreline of any state—3,288 miles (5,326 km). An additional 1,056 miles (1,699 km) can be added if islands are included. This roughly equals the length of the Atlantic Coast from Maine to Florida.

Michigan is bounded by four of the five Great Lakes, plus Lake Saint Clair.

Tom

5. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 5 2007, 06:00 PM) [snapback]456021[/snapback]</div>
    Just a guess, but I think that might be because of the limitations placed on the engineers by the planners who came up with the design. I guess they felt that having a hair over an inch thick worth of steel would be enough to protect the ship in most cases. It boggles the mind sometimes to see just how they try to get away with as little as possible.

BTW, that's a ENORMOUS amount of oil! I would love to have a supply of oil like that; it would mean that I'd never have to worry about filling up my tank. EVER.

So....who wants to rally together and buy an oil tanker? I'm sure we could get one cheap on ebaY!

6. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

Most of the things I know that made me go hmmmm I learned in college zoology.

Such as, the male anaconda has a two-pronged, ahem, reproductive organ.

There is some kind of parasitic worm you can pick up in by wading in African? South American? (sorry -- zoology was a long time ago....) waters. If you have a small cut, this parasite plants itself under your skin. There this worm can grow to several feet long. The natives remove it by wrapping a small portion around a stick and giving the stick a small turn every day. Turn too much and the worm will break, which could lead to infection and death of the person. Eventually the worm is removed that way.

There is more, but at this point I stuck my fingers in my ears and closed my eyes.... And changed majors.

7. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jun 5 2007, 06:00 PM) [snapback]456021[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. My uncle was a chief engineer in big oil tankers for about 40 years and he tells me that these ships are undestructible. However, there is always a fraction of a percentage where it could happen, and when it happens...

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Minnesota, the "land of 10,000 lakes" actually has over 15,000 lakes 10 acres or larger. While i've never been able to find official numbers for the total water area, it's estimated that there is one square mile of lake for every 15 square miles of land in Minnesota, putting the inland waters area at over 5,000 square miles.

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  10. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That corn starch video was pretty cool!
    Here's mine from my days of studying behavioral neuroscience:

Patients with severe epilepsy are sometimes given a surgery to sever the corpus collosum (the neural bridge between the two sides of the brain). This controls seizures from spreading to the entire brain, effectively cutting the severity in half. In these patients, as well as others whose corpus collosum is cut due to other reasons or accident, both sides of the brain will then compete with each other for control of the person's decision and movements.

IE: Patient goes to the closet to pick out a shirt. One hand (side of the brain) grabs one shirt. The other hand (controlled by the other half) gets visable upset and will grab the other hand and physically fight over which shirt to wear. It is literally like the 2 headed purple monster on sesame street, when they both try to go different directions.

11. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    David Rice Atchison was President of the United States for one day.

He served as a US senator from 1843 to 1855. As president pro tem of the Senate in 1849, Atchison was shoved into the highest office in the land in a constitutional cusp between James K. Polk and Zachary Taylor, because Polk's term ended on a Sunday at noon, and Taylor's inauguration wasn't until the next day. Atchison got drunk that Saturday night and woke up the following Monday. He slept through his day as President of the United States.

12. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your eyes are as big as they ever will be when you are born.

Your nose and ears never stop growing.

It's true.

13. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a "Friday the 13th."

Wildkow

14. micksimon

micksimon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jun 6 2007, 09:15 AM) [snapback]456460[/snapback]</div>
    Adding to your post, the worm is called a guinea worm. It is quickly disappearing due to efforts of the Bill and Melinda Gates
    Foundation and others. I read several years back that (I think it was 3M) developed a hat with a strainer in the cap that natives would use it to filter their drinking water. The number of cases dropped by something like 90% in a couple of years.

It's amazing how something as simple as a gimme cap could so greatly change the lives of so many people.

15. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

Polar bears are black. That is, if you were to shave them. Their skin is black.

16. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jun 6 2007, 03:15 AM) [snapback]456460[/snapback]</div>
    There's a fish that can get under your "skin" too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candir%C3%BA

Another interesting fish is the Angler Fish which is a fish that fishes for fish. It's an extremely slow swimmer, uses camouflage to avoid predators, but is one of the fastest moving creatures known when feeding.

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/students/focus/anten.htm

17. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ Jun 9 2007, 05:53 AM) [snapback]458581[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like you might want to be drunk before trying that. :unsure: