1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did you read the Owner's Manual

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by scwolfe, May 1, 2005.

?
  1. Read it cover to cover.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Only read sections.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Haven't read it at all.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. scwolfe

scwolfe New Member

Having read the Owner's Manual cover to cover, and knowing I need to do so again, I was wondering how many of you have done the same or have just read sections of it. Reason I ask is that some of the questions or finds that people ask about in the forums are answered in the manual, such as that hidden draw at the bottom of the console between the front seats, and what that vent to the right of the back seat is for. This is not a knock against anyone, so please don't flame me. I am sure I missed things, that is why I want to read it again, and I know the manual does not answer all questions and is ambiguous in some areas as well. The worst manual is the NAV system.

2. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You actually read the whole owners manual? Good for you! If only more of the owners I see would do the same. A lot of questions they ask could have been found if they only had taken the time to read it. You are in a minority if you ask me. :)

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I read both manuals cover to cover and then reread selective portions.

P.S. Why did you post this in the Sponsored Commercial Sales Forum?

4. scwolfe

scwolfe New Member

Sorry about the posting category, my mistake! Very embarrassing, guess I did not read the posting instructions all of the way through :oops:

To answer the other post reply, yes I did read it cover to cover, real slow read, but well worth it.

5. LisaMarli

LisaMarli Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I read it cover to cover and refer to it when I get confuse-ed. :oops: Which seems to be too often. But I'm getting Better!

But then again, I read manuals cover to cover with everything.

RTFM! :roll:

Lisa

6. DanP

DanP Member

The first thing I did upon getting the car home was to read the manual from cover to cover (but I do that for _anything_--there's just something about manuals that I enjoy). However, I have not found an answer to this question: Is it okay to position a jack under the post between the front and rear doors?

I'm due for a tire rotation, and I'd just as soon do it myself. Since I don't have a lift in the garage, however, I'd have to use a floor jack. I cannot use the points near the front and rear (as if I were changing a flat) because then only one wheel would be raised. The manual indicates two places where a floor jack can be used: one in the front and one in the back. What about the sides?

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Almost cover to cover. I skipped the technical stuff such as bulb type, brake pad type, how to change the oil and those respective sections.

8. rwlade

rwlade Dr. Bob

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't have my Prius yet (hopefully, next week) so I don't have the advantage of reading sections and then looking at the real thing to verify or reinforce what I've read. But I do have a question:

How do you turn the thing off? In my Malibu I put the xmsn into Park, set the parking brake, and turn the key off/out. Simple.

In the Prius, you sent the parking brake and then what? Hit the "P" button (doesn't look like there's a park position on the xmsn shift lever) and then hit the power button to turn the electrics off?

I know this sounds stupid, but I can't find the shut down procedure in the 2004 manual I downloaded! Maybe it's obvious when you actually drive it, but I ordered my Prius w/o even test driving one. (You guys convinced me) <g>

9. DanP

DanP Member

Put your foot on the brake and press the "Power" button. The car puts itself into park automatically.

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, although you can skip pushing the "P" button, as the car will automatically shift to the Park gear when you push the Power button.

11. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :roll: Having a background in Computer Software Support (Microsoft), I *ALWAYS* read/re-read Manuals, then later make reference to specific sections of interest. Ususally, I highlight statements of special interest as well. So frequently in software support, I referred users to specific chapters, pages and paragraphs which would have answered their questions clearly. In a few instances, I could hear them ripping the Manual's shrinkwrap - SIGH.

Even though the logic and language in the Prius Manuals is sometimes a bit "unique" (diplomatic description), it's still the best place to start. The most useful information I have found is on these online Prius forums.

12. bookrats

bookrats New Member

One caveat: I read portions of it (several times, while waiting for it to arrive), and read more portions when I took possesion of the car.

Didn't read it cover-to-cover until I had to sit in jury duty for a week... :oops:

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I skimmed cover to cover. After all, much of it is elementery, almost like teaching you to drive.

Charles, in defense of users, often the written manual is skimpy in SW, microsoft being one of the worst. They often rely on online help, and even that now is skimpy, relying on web access. However, the benefit of electronic manuals is the ability to do searches for key words.

14. twdusa

twdusa New Member

I also skimmed thru, stopping at the more interesting information and skimming the elementary. I put sticky notes as tabs on the pages for future quick reference. I also have a thing for "manuals". Just my kind of reading.

15. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most operating manuals are about as interesting as reading an accounting text book. There has to be a better way.
    If one can make a movie with a Sony camcorder then why not a multibillion corporation? It just seems to me that a dvd outlining the operating features and especially the navigation system would be most helpful. Perhaps a dvd tutorial for one's computer?

16. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Read it twice through and have read sections yet again as needed.

17. popoff

popoff New Member

18. GAGendel

GAGendel Junior Member

Read it cover to cover, but I was over saturated so I need to do it several more times.

I know I missed things because I was just surprised by the below 37 degree warning light this morning. I stared at in puzzlement trying to decipher what the heck it was trying to tell me until I finally found it in the manual.

The manual seems to be a reasonable translation from Japanese, but its layout, indexing and phrasing leaves much to be desired.

I'm tempted to pick up the technical specs, but my wife is already complaining I've become obsessed.

19. scwolfe

scwolfe New Member

I am very tempted to purchase the technical specs as well. However I much rather have them electronically. I agree with DanMan32, you can search them for keywords, much preferred. I also agree that once you have read these manuals, you are left still questioning what they meant at times. You obviously need to experiment, but at least you have an idea where to start.

20. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill60546\";p=\"87098)</div>
    That sounds like an excellent idea! Now to borrow a digital camcorder.