1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Didn't Ford license

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by mvp1961, Apr 21, 2004.

1. mvp1961

mvp1961 New Member

Toyota's hybrid technology for the Escape? And, if they did, what does it mean? Can't seem to find anything on this, but maybe I missed it.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, they claim they developed this all on their own... with over 100 patents being filed on the technology. If they originally licensed THS from Toyota, shouldn't the credit be given?

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

There's a lot of information on this over in this PriusChat thread.

4. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

actually looking at the other thread sort of confirmed what a Toyota salesperson had told me when i said i might end up getting an escape instead of waiting for a prius.

he said that ford had licensed the prior generation of toyota hybrid technology, not the same one as in the new prius.

anyway the prius has way too many other cool features besides being a hybrid. it's the whole package that really sets it apart.

5. Dauth

Dauth New Member

If you go to the Ford Escape Hybrid site http://www.fordvehicles.com/escapehybrid/i...ndex.asp?bhcp=1 you can see that their system looks very similar to the Prius. However, even after reviewing their site and viewing all of their little videos, I am left with the impression that it is somehow less sophisticated than the Prius system in operation. I know I am always amazed at how adeptly the Prius system manages power flow. Watching the Energy screen animate the changes from engine to motor to generator and all the possible combinations is incredible. The Ford site still leaves me feeling that their system doesn't vary things to quite the same extent. Purely impression on my part though.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    To me the fact that Ford did design their own system
    makes me want to steer clear even more. I have to look
    at track record and reputation and Ford has not done
    well in first generation vehicles. Toyota is on the 3rd
    generation hybrid.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    FORD = "Fix Or Repair Daily."

Lesson of the Ford Pinto: Ford will sell you a car it knows will explode and burn you to death, if it calculates that recalling the cars would cost more than the lawsuits brought by the victims' families.

8. newts

newts New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Back to the licensing, what I had heard is that Ford developed it themselves but could be infringing on patents. I beleive it is common practice to license patents instead of fighting them.

9. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

I believed Ford when they said that their hybrid is of their own design until I read a full description of it. The description itself looked like it had been lifted right out of a Toyota document describing of the Prius drive train .. right down to the planetary power split device Electronic Continuously Variable Transmission (ECVT).

It looks to me like they borrowed heavily from Toyota, and I think they were wise to do so.

10. boa8

boa8 New Member