1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Didn't lose a lot of MPG this morning...

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Mik1, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Was reading a lot about low MPG during colder weather and was anxious to see the behavior of my C. This morning was the "coldest" so far in Houston (46 degrees) and I guess it was pretty normal for me. My usual morning commute MPG is somewhere in between 63 and 66, depending on traffic and some "more-ons" (in my dictionary refers to the drivers who wants to push gas more in order to brake more at the next red light) who deeply believe if they will get to the office 2-3 minutes earlier and make some coffee for their colleagues they will save the world. So this morning my MPG was almost the same, and if it will go this way I am looking forward to our "winter" since it will rarely drops here below 40 degrees anyway.

Attached Files:

frugaldriver likes this.
  2. chicagoaficionado

chicagoaficionado Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    For me I noticed the biggest drop when it went to low 40's here in Chicagoland. Now its in the twenties, my grill is completely blocked, and I'm getting 5-10 mpg less than normal (16 mile 45 min commute one way). Bring that Texas winter up here please.

3. ElectronFlux

ElectronFlux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't see a huge MPG drop lately and I'm in the same area as chicagoaficionado. I broke even (56.5 MPG on my trip meter) from start to finish on a 10 mi commute, but I also can baby it at 25 MPH for the first mile or so to really warm up and charge the battery.

4. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    This weather has hit me hard because my commute is really short. It takes longer to warm up the engine, and the car doesn't have much time to do it. If you're commute is longer, it shouldn't hit you as hard.

RocMills likes this.
  5. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Forgot to mention that I don't use my eco mode for the past couple of months. Eco mode was very useful at the beginning to train my right foot to be less leaded. I do like my C in regular mode better since the gas pedal is more responsive.

RocMills likes this.
  6. frugaldriver

frugaldriver Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse - Cato

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Completely agree, bring some of that winter up here in ND (temps are at single digits in the morning, going to be negative soon :cry:).

7. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Feel you guys. I've been to the winters from early November until early March. This morning was a bit better, around 52, my MPG raised to 66.3.

8. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    +1 to all points here in Motor City. I need to try this blocked grill thing, or perhaps make a thermostatically servo'd active shutter.

9. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Was 43 this morning, I was able to make 63.7 MPG according to MID. So I guess 3 days of testing in 43 to 52 F early in the morning makes me believe that I should be fine with upcoming "winter" in Uston :) . Now I am anxious to see what the mileage will be in the temps between 35 and 43. Only time and mother nature will tell....