1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Didn't order my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Renocat, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    THis morning I went to the dealer to put my deposit on a Prius package #5. When I stopped in earlier in the week I asked about my trade. The salesman told me they "pretty much go by Kelly Blue Book numbers" and he printed off a page for me. I told him that looked low because I had looked up my car on KBB and it was higher. I went home and checked again and realized he had used the wrong model for my car. I have a higher end package. (it is a 2003 Subaru Forester XS with winter package and the remainder of a 7 yr, 100,000 mile warranty.

KBB says my car is worth 10,520 for fair condition, 12,020 for good condition and 12,900 for excellent condition. I fairly rated my car as good + condition based on its actual condition and the extended warranty that is remaining.

We went through the whole process, picked colors, had my car appraised by the service manage and they came back and said $9000!!! :eek: Their reasoning is that the higher gas prices make my subaru less valuable because of the MPG it gets. What sense does that make? I tried to make my point that if someone was looking for a subaru and a Toyota dealer happened to have one they would sell it. He said "No, everyone is looking for better gas mileage than that...you are here looking for a Prius, aren't you?"

Well, I told him $9000 was not acceptable and got up to leave. He said wait a minute let me talk to the service manager again. He asked me what I had to have and I told him no less than $12,000. He talked to the service manage and came backand said if there was on on the lot today he could give me $11,000. No guarantee what the trade would be when the car came in next month. I said well, that is less than $12,000 and it just is not good enough. I thanked him for his time and walked out.

So no Prius for me. I may try a different dealer and see what they have to say. I was offended by their offer. I feel like they saw a woman buying a car on her own and tried to stick it to me. I am thinking of calling the GM to let him know I was offended by their offer....doubt he would care but it might make me feel better to vent..

grrrrrr :angry:

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's stupid. Oh well.. time to try another.

3. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Jul 15 2006, 11:29 AM) [snapback]286753[/snapback]</div>
    Some of us, when buying a Prius, have found that calling several dealers to find one with decent inventory is the best option. You might try contacting a number of dealers (I know you won't have the same number available as someone in a metro area) and see what you can do for a fair trade-in value. Toyota dealers know that they have a hot item in the Prius and some of them don't seem to want to operate in a fair and honest manner...

4. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Jul 15 2006, 09:29 AM) [snapback]286753[/snapback]</div>
    Well, sorry to tell you, but this is fairly typical. Unless you have a high resell value, easy to sell vehicle, like a Honda Accord, etc., dealers are always going to squeeze you on the trade. That trade is just going to get sold off by them, so they are just trying to make a quick buck on it. With the Prius they are extra sensitive because many dealers are still getting above MSRP...so they are trying to maximize their overall profit on each sale.

As far as the first salesman and what he told you...they have nothing to do with trades...they are only a go between. Of course they would try to tell you what they think you wanted to hear.

Maybe you can try to "meet the in the middle"...and settle on 11,500. When you are talking about $500 over the life of the vehicle it is not that much. I am sure you also want to make sure to get in on the full tax rebate too, so paying an extra $500 to ensure that is not so bad.

Of Course, we feel your pain. Dealing with the car buying process really sucks! When they hassled me over my trade, I used some other dealer names to tell them that I had received higher offers for the trade...but I wanted to give them the opportunity on the Prius because I had contacted them first (all lies, but I was playing their game). It worked...I got my trade amount and got my Prius for MSRP with no add ons.

Goodluck!

5. Lane

Lane New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Renocat wrote: "KBB says my car is worth 10,520 for fair condition, 12,020 for good condition and 12,900 for excellent condition. I fairly rated my car as good + condition based on its actual condition and the extended warranty that is remaining."

Renocat,

Don't forget that KBB has a different price for trade-in verses private party.
    I would guess in your case, that diffeence is around $1500-$2000. So if you
    sold the car yourself, you could expect to get that much more for your car than
    the dealer is willing to offer.

My experience with selling my last two cars on my own is that this experience is
    pretty painless with Caigs list and auto-trader. It took me one day to sell my
    older car, and four days to sell my 2002 Mazda Tibute. I sold both of them within
    $200 of the suggested KBB private party price. I don't think I will ever trade-in again.

Maybe that will help you. I do however live in a large metropolitan area, (San Francisco),
    so there are lots of buyers out here.

This might help you get more for your "trade-in."

6. V-Jim

V-Jim New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 15 2006, 11:46 AM) [snapback]286763[/snapback]</div>

I bought my 2006 Prius here in Texas and was trading in one of my Tundras (a 2004) which was in very good condition with reasonable mileage, and they wanted to give me a very low trade-in and gave me the exact same story about people wanting to buy cars with better gas mileage (even the same quote: "you're looking for a Prius, right?"). So I sold mine at carMax and got $3,000 more for the trade-in and it was a very pleasant experience. This is the second vehicle I've sold to them and in both cases they gace me way more than the dealer wanted to do.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can get higher than KBB Trade-in value!! What I did was, I printed out the trade-in value from www.edmunds.com since their numbers were higher (for me). I told the dealer that I am planning to sell it myself and that I would be willing to settle somewhere between Edmunds' trade-in and private party value. I end up getting Edmund's trade-in value which is higher than KBB with additional $500 off MSRP for Prius.

Don't be too upset about walking out. They will call you back the next day! My salesman was still under training so the GM did most of the dirty work. If you want to complain go up higher in the chain or use the buyer satisfication survey as a threath. :lol:

Dennis

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sell it yourself.

You'll get more as a private party than as a dealer trade in.

9. filiberti

filiberti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yep I'm from New York and join the club. I hate DEALERS .
    When I had to wait 10 months for my 2004 of course THEN when time to purchase car
    I was royally ripped off . Of course in NY good thing is the trade in value comes off the taxes
    you need to pay for new car so only pay tax on the difference .
    But still I paid 25K for my 2003 VW Jetta GLI V6, Leather , sunroof, heated seats,6 speed with 5000 miles and only got 14K :(

10. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Jul 15 2006, 12:29 PM) [snapback]286753[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, the value of any car today is going to be highly driven by fuel economy. That's why Ford and GM are practically giving away trucks and SUV's along with a year's supply of gasoline and there are still waiting lists for the Prius. It's all about supply and demand.

Also, the lower offer is called negotiation. You got them up on the trade, but not to what you wanted, so you walked. All part of negotiation.

You've got 2 options. Sell the Subaru outright in a private sale or try to deal with a different dealership for your Prius.

11. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree with David! When i bought my new prius a month ago i traded in my 2002 echo at a value alittle higher than kelly blue book.It was a base model,but because it has great gas mileage i got a good deal.

12. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Selling it yourself will always yield more money, and with the market channels of today compared to the past (internet, namely), it's much easier. Just be prudent about your personal info and about meeting potential buyers. Guidelines and tips can be found on ConsumerReports and CarTalk.

Even so, I do understand that hassling with selling yourself is a personal choice and is not the right answer for some. Do what you alone feel is right, except make sure you get the Prius! Duh! :)

13. archermoo

archermoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had a similar experience. Went in to purchase a Prius they had on the lot, but the dealer wasn't even willing to come up to KBB trade in for a fair condition 2003 Highlander, when mine was in much better shape than fair. Their comment on it was "The "fair" value is the highest we would ever offer for a trade in". Even though the KBB already takes the fact that it is a trade-in into account with the pricing.

After shopping around for a while I finally found a dealer willing to give me an honest price on my trade (Marin Toyota for anyone in the Bay Area). Very polite, very professional, very good experience overall. It can just take a bit of work to find a good dealer.

And yes, I could've probably gotten more money if I had sold it myself. Unfortunately I don't currently have the time to do so.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    As my old car wasn't worth much, I didn't bother to trade it in, but donated it to charity.

As the others have said, I'd sell it privately.

15. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, I think I am going to try to sell it myself. I have looked at Cars.com and Edmunds.com. Any comments on either? Cars.com has an option to also list it in my local newspaper.

16. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

an 03 Subaru Forrester...youll be LUCKY to get 8k in the real world, and that is IF it has ALL its sales and maint records and is in great condition with low miles. Subaru's just dont resell quickly, and they depriciate badly.

17. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RichBoy @ Jul 15 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]286888[/snapback]</div>
    I'd have to agree. You would have to get lucky and find someone who wanted your exact vehicle. Otherwise you are going to compete with the mass marketed cars from Toyota, Nissan, and Honda which are much more plentiful and have the reputation for lasting a long time. I would try carmax and see what they were willing to give...if they are less then the dealer, you will know that you are actually getting a pretty good price from them.

A few years from now, while you are still driving your Prius, you will probably look back at this and see that $1k in the scope of things is not that bad. Remember, to sell it private party is going to take some work on your part...advertising, calling people back, meeting people, test drives, smog checks, paperwork...it is not too much fun, and I don't like the lack of privacy . If for some reason you miss any or all of the tax break...that could make this a mute point.

If you are too pissed at this dealer, but come to the realization that you can live with the $11k, then go to another dealer and negotiate up from there. Then you still get your car, and they don't get your business.

18. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RichBoy @ Jul 15 2006, 05:00 PM) [snapback]286888[/snapback]</div>
    That sounds awfully low. Where I live there seems to be a high demand for Subarus. According to the ads, the #1 subaru dealer in the nation is 15 miles from my house. I cannot believe the number of Subarus around here.

Regardless, what is the point of using KBB or Edmunds to get a resale or trade in value if it is no where near accurate?

There are a couple of dealers that I am going to check with on Monday. And just like today, if the trade is not what I need, I can always walk out. Not the end of the world.

19. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Jul 15 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]286896[/snapback]</div>
    Well it's kind of like EPA mileage figures...not normally on the money, but somewhere in the neighborhood.

You may well be right about the amount of Subaru's in your area being helpful...but I forgot to tell you about something my dealer told me. Part of the reason they gave for not giving KBB value was that KBB value did not take into account the 0% financing and rebates on the new models. They said that those incentives actually lowered the value of a brand new vehicle below KBB new pricing, and that had a trickle down effect on used cars as well. Made a little sense, but probably a bunch of bull.

Another idea would be to go to the Subaru dealer, acting like you want to get another one...and see what they offer you for your trade.

Goodluck and let us know what happens

20. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 15 2006, 05:29 PM) [snapback]286898[/snapback]</div>
    I considered doing that as well. I was just at the subaru dealer last week and looked briefly at a legacy. I could always go back and see what kind of trade they would give me.

Unfortunately, there is not a CarMax in New York State, so I can't try that.