1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

didn't realize compresed natural gas vehicles were so slow to fill up

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Jul 5, 2009.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've seen a couple CNG Honda Civic GXs around here but didn't realize until I stumbled across some blog posts at Edmunds that they took so long to fill up.

See 2007 Honda Civic GX Long-Term Road Tests Blog on Edmunds' Inside Line, in particular 2009 Honda Civic GX: An Afternoon at the Pump | Long-Term Road Tests Blog on Edmunds' Inside Line. From 2007 Honda Civic GX: 20 Minutes and Still Not Full! | Long-Term Road Tests Blog on Edmunds' Inside Line, it sounds like you need to go to a higher pressure (3600 psi) pump to get faster fill ups.

You could previously get a home filling station called Phill but per http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2009/07/2007-honda-civic-gx-phorget-phill.html and my quick check, it seems like its status is in limbo. It previously cost them $3000 out of pocket (http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2008/01/2007-honda-civic-gx-the-phill-is-coming.html) after. From the look of http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2008/03/2007-honda-civic-gx-figuring-fuel-economy-with-phill.html, Phill is WAY slower than going to a commercial pump but at least it can be done when you car's parked at home.

Hmm, maybe the Pickens plan isn't such a good idea...

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's like a plug in electric.
    You charge overnight at home, in this case with natural gas.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can refill quickly, but it requires a high pressure system. CNG tanks are like big SCUBA tanks: the fuel is stored as a high pressure gas, not a liquid. Without a cascade system of high pressure tanks, you have to use a pump to increase the very low pressure NG from the mains into high pressure CNG. That takes a while.

Tom

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, I saw when it first came out that Honda had a NG Civic and if you buy it they install a 'refilling station' in your garage but even with that it took something like 6-8 hours for a fill up. As mentioned you need very high pressure found at actual filling stations to fill up quickly.

We had conversion vehicles when I was in the AF back in the 90's... They ran great but they just didn't go anywhere near as far as they did before the converson with a full tank.