1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Didn't realize that brand was owned by this other company...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Oct 8, 2012.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll start.

I got a surprise last year when looking at my online credit charges. I saw a charge from Bridgestone Firestone, which was a bit puzzling but the amount looked like what I'd paid to change 2 tires and get an alignment done at Wheel Works.

After a bit of digging, I found out from Bridgestone Americas, Inc.:
    My parents and I have been visiting that Wheel Works location for ages (way before 2001) and the store still looks the same and how the employees treat their customers has remained unchanged, fortunately.

I know that Firestone tire locations seem to have a terrible rep, whether it's deserved or not.

Today, I learned about Luxottica, a company I'd never heard of, thanks to a 60 Minutes piece (I believe the whole thing is online at
    Code:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7424700n&tag=contentMain;contentAux
    ).
    (I don't wear sunglasses, but at least I know these brands.)
    I had NO idea they owned Oakley, Ray-Ban, LensCrafters, Pearle Vision and Sunglass Hut. :eek: They also operate Sears Optical and Target Optical.

They also produce eyewear under license for names such as Coach, Anne Klein, Bulgari, Prada, Polo, Versace, Ralph Lauren, and Tiffany.

Besides the story, see these for more info:
    Luxottica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

House Brands
    License Brands
    Retail Brands

I guess we can "thank" this company for expensive glasses, frames and sunglasses.

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually you can "thank" people who pay high prices.
    If a business can't sell enough of a high priced ticket item, they will lower the price.

And yes, it is amazing how many products and companies are actually made or owned by a bigger parent company.

3. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oakley, had a pair of titanium framed sunglasses that broke after two uses Oakley wouldn't fix or replace them with like value, and the customer service was a joke, it's been ten years but he who laughs last.
    Not spiteful just entertained.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    glasses were expensive when all those companies were separately owned and 'competing'.

5. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ...and, aren't they still very extremely expensive? I wanted to replace my Oakley prescription lenses for my 2.0 wires (titanium frames, 6 years old, and not broken, BTW) and single prescription lenses only were about $290. Yikes!