1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Didn't Toyota already address this?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kacey Green, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

OK... I'm glad to see that the AAA article isn't a reprint of the "killer hybrid" hysteria articles from a few months ago.

I think they're being way overcautious, though, in their tone, given that they're aiming it at people doing home maintenance on their car. I mean, who's planning to cut through their Prius from the underside? You want a removable panel so that you can do a Fred Flintstone braking/acceleration?

The graphic is somewhat over-the-top, too. (I thought the caption should have been: "Prius! Voted Best Car of the Year by Thor!")

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would tend to believe that as long as you are not using your polished-plastic tires on a felt highway, you would never see a picture like this.

4. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

ok, I thought I may have been the only one

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which reminds me: cancel your AAA membership and instead join the Better World Club, which lobbies for mass transit and the environment and is endorsed by Tom and Ray (The Car Guys).

https://www.betterworldclub.com/

6. jchu

jchu New Member

Thanks Richard,

Gave up our AAA membership 5 years ago when we learned about their lobbying efforts. Didn't realize that an alternative existed. When/if we decide to cough up the bucks for this will try and remember who sent us as it seem you can get credit under their affiliates program.

:idea: OR MAYBE DANNY would want to look into this as another revenue stream to support this board!!! :mrgreen:

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

:lolup:

In best Homer Simpson tones:

"Mmmmmm.... felt highway...."

Segue to dream sequence...

8. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Thanks for the pointer, Richard. I've been an AAA member for years, and I'm pretty shocked to read what they've been lobbying for. Not a position I agree with.

Though there must be some differing management within AAA; they have a discount for Amtrak travel, at least in the PNW.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What are they lobbying for? I've never been a member of AAA. My regular car insurance includes roadside assistance for a couple of bucks extra per six months.

Once I wanted to buy road maps from them for a trip. They would not sell them to me. You have to be a member. And they were rude to me on top of it all. I got my road maps from a bookstore. I figured if they're that rude to the general public, are they much better to their members?

10. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Followed by musical interlude from the Thelma and Louise episode

"Sunshine, lollipops and..."

11. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

what are they lobbying for?
    got a link?
    I'm really curious, as I was thinking about AAA for when I get my Prius

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, what are they lobbying for?

I've been a member of AAA since I learned to drive. Gold Member for almost ten years. I have car insurance, home insurance, and roadside assitance with them. Just what organization have I been supporting all these years?

13. jchu

jchu New Member

ckacey & TonyPSchaefer,
    I remember back in the 70's during the oil crisis, AAA answering the call by lobbying for expanded exploration and drilling.

From a Eugene, OR newspaper article about 1.5 years ago:

Critics say AAA lobbied against airbags in the late '70s, against strengthening the Clean Air Act in 1990, and recently against increasing auto fuel efficiency standards. AAA is also seen to be unsupportive of public transportation and dedicated to promoting new road construction.

AAA responses:
    AAA spokesman Mantill Williams accuses Better World of unfair tactics.

"They make accusations with no facts behind them," he says. "We make our money the old-fashioned way. We provide good products and services and we don't try to make others look bad." He says AAA last year had the most successful year for membership in its history and cites a 90 percent renewal rate.

Better World appeals to people who have extreme views, he says, people who think all roads are bad. "That's hypocritical," he says. "It's not realistic. Most people use the automobile, and that's not going to change in the near future."

Williams says that AAA mostly lobbies on safety-related issues.

Did AAA oppose the Clean Air Act? "There is no evidence that we did that," he says. "That is completely false." AAA did, however, issue statements arguing that the Clean Air Act would drive up the cost of new automobiles for consumers.

Does AAA lobby against public transportation? "Totally false. We lobby in favor of public transportation in certain situations," Williams said. AAA did, however, lobby against raising the federal gas tax in 1991 because some of the tax money would have gone to public transit.

Did AAA oppose airbags? "We just wanted to make sure the cost of the airbags was shared by manufacturers," he says.

Elliot Eki, public affairs director of the 606,000-member AAA Oregon/Idaho, says he's received a lot of calls lately about AAA's environmental practices.

He says there's a reason AAA generally favors highway construction: AAA wants to keep cars moving. "During congestion you have the most toxic emissions," he says. "The engine burns more efficiently when running at a steady pace."

Williams says AAA has also helped with environmental programs, such as collecting used car batteries, offering free diagnostic checks to make sure engines are tuned properly; and replacing switches that contain mercury, a toxic metal.

14. prius04

prius04 New Member

jchu

The quotes you site from Mantill Williams of the AAA sounds like "spin" to me and not at all an adequate refutation of the accusations. If you've quoted the AAA spokesman accurately, then his defense may have just incriminated himself as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to do some research and I just may be changing to Better World.

Boy do I hate "spin".

15. jchu

jchu New Member

Prius04,
    I agree completely, (see my 9/3 post to this thread). The text comes from a Eugene, Oregon newspaper article published 3/2003. I posted AAA's reply as part of my last post for the sake of completeness. The quote come from the same Eugene article. It seems that the reporter was doing his/her due diligence. My wife and I gave up our AAA membership many years ago. We are grateful that Richard Schumacher was able to provide an alternative to AAA in the form of "Better World".

Jon

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmm. Someone asks if they opposed the Clean Air Act, and his reply is, "There's no evidence that we did." Sounds to me like the burglar telling the cops, "You've got no evidence against me." Why didn't he just say, "No, we didn't" if they didn't??? Then he goes on to say, "That's completely false," which sounds odd to me, when a simple "No" would suffice.

The legislative process is horribly complex. Bills are drafted, revised, voted on in various stages, there are procedural votes and committee votes, and lobbying at every stage of the way. As we see with the charges and counter-charges about whether a candidate did or did not vote for or against something. Vote against a particular draft of a bill that contained 101 distinct items, and they'll pick out one of those items and accuse you of opposing it; conversely, an organization can lobby tooth and nail to weaken a bill, but deny it opposed the bill.

I've never belonged to the AAA because they have nothing to offer me. I get my roadside assistance coverage for about a tenth of the cost through my regular auto insurance. But this whole thing makes the AAA look pretty reactionary.

17. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    DUH...have been a member for "over 25 years", so my card says...thought they were just a tow service...my best friend had a garage and was a AAA agent I drove his tow trucks, before I got my first car... I have relied on their service thru most of my driving career...

Bob

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You want links? We got links (Google: aaa lobbying -armenian -ambulance). Here is a smattering of the accusations against AAA:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...304/ai_85882846
    (Harper's Magazine)

http://www.nrdc.org/amicus/01win/aaa/aaa.asp

http://www.gristmagazine.com/maindish/nijh...jhuis021103.asp

The same search turns up some of the AAA's responses, which in my opinion are rather thin (lobbying for redwoods in the 1920's, in favor of motorcycle helmets, promoting recycling drives for lead-acid batteries, etc.)

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for those links, Richard. Looks to me like the AAA is one of the bad guys; an organization whose management has a very different agenda than its members.

I used to belong to a big national organization that provided some good services to its members, until I learned that it, too, was lobbying for an ultra-conservative agenda and investing its funds in the most socially-irresponsible companies. Sometimes you just don't look beyond the public face of these big organizations.

20. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

I'm no longer looking forward to joining them, I'll have to look for an alternative