1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Die Amerikaner wollen Europa aus dem Weltraum kicken

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Jun 2, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Ariane-Group-Chef: "Die Amerikaner wollen Europa aus dem Weltraum kicken" - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Doch die "Ariane 6" hat ein Problem: Sie ist im Vergleich mit der amerikanischen Konkurrenz zu teuer. Konkret geht es um die Raketen des - von der US-Regierung kräftig unterstützten - Privatunternehmens SpaceX. Die sind - gebraucht - für etwa 50 Millionen Dollar pro Start zu haben. Es ist ein Preis, den die "Ariane 6" unter keinen Umständen erreichen kann, selbst wenn - wie versprochen - die Kosten im Vergleich zur "Ariane 5" halbiert werden.

Thanks to Google translate:

But the "Ariane 6" has a problem: it is too expensive compared to the American competition. Specifically, it is about the rockets of the - strongly supported by the US government - private company SpaceX. They are - used - for about 50 million dollars per start to have. It is a price that the Ariane 6 can never reach, even if, as promised, the cost is halved compared to the Ariane 5.

Bob Wilson

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Non-reusable rockets is a fair criticism I guess. But history of the field offers some justifications I guess.

Started as 'revenge weapons', then ICBMs, no benefit from designing re-use.

Then (manned) rocketry was a breathless race, benefit but far down list of necessaries.

Later, race had slower pace. Incremental improvements staying close to prior designs.

Fair to criticize rocket newbies in this regard. Perhaps not surprising that only visionary with ultradeep pockets pursued this. Followed by Blue Origin with Bezos also having pockets for his rockets.