1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DIESEL CONVERSION KITS—ANOTHER REASON TO START THINKING DIESEL

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Areometer, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Several companies are working to create fuel saving products or alternative fuel systems as an option to help consumers cope with high gas prices. One option for diesel owners that has been around for a while is a conversion kit that makes it possible to substitute straight vegetable oil (SVO) for diesel fuel. Some of the companies offering the kits include:

* Golden Fuel systems, www.goldenfuelsystems.com
    * Vegistroke, www.vegistroke.com
    * Vegoil Conversions, www.vegoilconversions.netfirms.com
    * PlantDrive, www.plantdrive.com
    * Grease Car Vegetable Fuel Systems, www.greasecar.com
    * Frybrid, www.frybrid.com

Most of the kits offered are considered two-tank systems, where the vehicle is started using diesel fuel and switched to SVO after the oil is heated up. When the destination in reached, the driver switches back to diesel fuel and the SVO is removed from the injection pump and the injectors through a short purge.

The systems employ various types of heaters which heat the vegetable oil to about 160 degrees Fahrenheit making it more of a liquid to pass easily through the injectors. Some systems are available with computer controls and temperature sensing systems that automatically switch the system from diesel to SVO when the correct temperature is reached. Check out any of the links above to learn the latest information.

>> Original Link

2. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In the summer you can run many makes of diesel engine on straight vegetable oil (SVO) without any treatement or having to make biodiesel (ie straight from the supermarket shelf). This is without any kit or vehicle modification, just used straight as the manufacturer sold it.

I run on SVO in the summer as it is only 39p/litre vs 98p/litre for diesel.

Thousands of people in Europe also do this. You can read about their real-life experience of SVO use here:

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/fuelsd...abase/index.php

The kits you have listed allow vehicles to run on SVO in the winter months too.

3. molgrips

molgrips Member

It's illegal in the UK (from where I presume clett is) without paying extra tax on what you use. And it's only 28p a litre in my local supermarket.

You can thin it out with white spirit or some other solvent to make the engine run as well as diesel, only takes a little. Apparently the original diesel engine was designed to run on anything, we just started using diesel cos it was there.

4. clett

clett New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Aug 23 2006, 06:54 AM) [snapback]308127[/snapback]</div>

Hi Molgrips, yes it is illegal to use SVO here without paying the tax, crazy but true!

You're lucky to have it at only 28p near you. A lot of the supermarkets up here in Scotland have been stung by folk turning up in their Landrover Discoveries and buying 80 litres at a time, cleaning out the entire row of veg oil and leading to a lot of grumpy customers unable to buy their chip oil. For this reason, they've put it up to as much as 65p per litre in some places. The cheapest I've seen here is 39 p / litre (Asda own brand rapeseed oil).

Can't wait to just grow my own and be done with the whole chain.