1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diesel Mini for Canada?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Globe and Mail reported yesterday, in an article concerning national fuel standard to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions, that BMW Canada will start introducing diesel vehicles in Canada as early as next year.

Lindsay Duffield, president of BMW Canada Inc., said that Canada needs cleaner diesel fuel and confirmed that BMW is seriously considering bringing in the diesel version of its Mini already sold in Europe.

The Mini Cooper D will be capable of returning an astonishing 60 mpg or under 4 liters per 100 km. The D runs on a diesel-sipping 16-valve 1.6 litre 4-cylinder. Output is rated at 110 hp and 177 lb/ft of torque. The only available transmission is a 6-spedd manual. The 100 km/h mark is reached in 9.9 seconds.

The Mini pulls off these numbers by incorporating regenerative braking, a driver-defeatable stop/start system on manual-transmission-equipped cars and by adding a shift light that tells the driver what gear to select to ensure maximum efficiency.

We say: Bring it!

Source: Auto123.com

2. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A solid alternative for the MPG-minded. I don't know anything about the reliability of BMW's diesels, though. Personally, the Mini is just too small for me to feel safe in.

3. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 16 2007, 02:41 AM) [snapback]462892[/snapback]</div>
    That's good news. As Canada uses the same EPA and DOT standards as the U.S. maybe I can get one imported. MINI USA has no plans for diesels and BMW only plans them for SUV's.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

so the base model of a Mini MSRP is $27,395 if the diesel option cost is say $3000, not an unrealistic quess, your firmly in the Prius price range. No noise, no smell, no fueling at truck stops, a heater that actually works and the Prius is PZEV, no diesel will ever be.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Jun 16 2007, 09:04 AM) [snapback]462999[/snapback]</div>
    Well the MINI Classic starts at $22k. The Cooper is probably the one you're looking at. I don't know if the Classic will make a return cause the Cooper is well equipped (has HIDs, alloys, auto A/C etc).

6. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 16 2007, 05:02 PM) [snapback]463173[/snapback]</div>
    that's today off Mini.ca's web site all in freight pdi etc. and it's still smaller than a Prius.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, then you're looking at the Cooper. I guess the Classic isn't offered (yet) in the new version. It's $25,900 base MSRP.

8. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Jun 16 2007, 11:04 AM) [snapback]462999[/snapback]</div>
    So they cost the same, I don't buy cars by the pound (or KG for the rest of the world :D )

My VW TDI is quieter than the gas model at highway speeds inside the car because it is turning much lower RPM.
    ULSD doesn't smell any worse that gasoline and biodiesel smells like french fries.
    I've only had to fill up at a truck stop twice in 140K miles with my diesel, not really an issue.
    The heater in my TDI works just fine
    I don't care if the Prius is PZEV that's not why I bought it.

The Mini handles like a dream, the Prius handles like crap.
    The Mini has HUGE aftermarket support for suspension and tuning upgrades, the Prius as a handful of very expensive options.
    The Mini is smaller and thus easier to park in the city.
    We are a family of 2 so we don't need a huge car like the Prius and on the occasion that we do need the room we already have a Prius.
    My VW TDI has consistantly returned better mileage than the EPA estimate, the Prius consistantly returned worse mileage than the EPA estimate.
    The diesel allows me to run on biofuels, the Prius requires me to continue to fund OPEC inc.

9. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Jun 21 2007, 12:30 PM) [snapback]465939[/snapback]</div>
    The heater in my TDI works just fine
    try it at 25 or 30 below F and tell me that.

The diesel allows me to run on biofuels,
    congeald at that temp.

the Prius requires me to continue to fund OPEC inc.
    thanks for sending your dollars to Canada as we supply about 30% of your oil.

10. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Jun 29 2007, 04:49 PM) [snapback]470288[/snapback]</div>
    No thanks! :) But it does work fine at -5F. I have not reason to live anywhere that a temperature of -25 to -30 would be routine. It must not be too big a problems since 50% of VW's sold in Canada last year were diesels.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Jun 29 2007, 04:49 PM) [snapback]470288[/snapback]</div>
    As does petro diesel without additives. If you add the winterizing additive it is not a problem. Please see above. The ability to use biofuels is an advantage even if you were to limit the use to 3 seasons. The Prius does not allow any use of biofuels beyond E10.

So then someone else buys from OPEC. Oil is a global commodity, if you purchase any you are funding OPEC. I'm not falling for your shell game. A fellow Canadian recently posted that Canada is a net importer of oil even though you sell massive amounts to the US. Where do you get your oil from?

11. Frank Hudon

our's comes from Nothern Alberta. They also pump it in the pipe line going thru southern Manitoba and take it back out of the pipe line east of Chicago and there is some small importation in easter Canada. There's more oil in the Alberta tar sands then most of Aribia. But China is buying up most of the companies involved in the sands to assure supply for themselves. Were now exporting to them from the west coast that's what's driving up the price. I'm waiting till they say they want it all, screw the US and Canada they can suck hind tit.

12. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Jun 29 2007, 05:24 PM) [snapback]470307[/snapback]</div>
    While the Alberta Tar Sands do have a huge supply of material that can be made into oil, what you are leaving out is that it takes many times more energy in the form of natural gas and huge quantities of water to produce oil from the tar sands.

According to cia.gov (Yes, the CIA keeps track of the energy supplies and use for the entire world) Canada's oil situation in 2004 was as follows:

Production: 3,135,000 bbl/day
    Consumption: 2,294,000 bbl/day
    Exports: 1,600,000 bbl/day
    IMPORTS: 963,000 bbl/day

Again, where does Canada's almost 1 MILLION barrels of oil per day that you import come from? Northern Alberta is not an import into Canada, even an American knows that. :)

13. B Rad

B Rad New Member

Bring it to the USA. in say 3 years, and I will have it parked right next to my by then 4 year old Prius.....