1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diesel - stupid mistake

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by medicis, Dec 4, 2023.

1. medicis

medicis Junior Member

I still don't know how it could have happened but it did (senior moment stuff). I now have a few liters of diesel in the tank but fortunately the car has been in full EV mode since. I have drowned it with regular fuel but I know it is sitting at the bottom, conveniently next to the intake.

I think I should be able to drive in EV to the dealer for a flush but I know there are some cases when the gas engine starts up in EV mode no-matter-what (e.g. for windshield defogger but also in some obscure cases). Hence two questions:

1. If the gas engine ran for a few minutes before I can curb safely and stop, would the damage be immediate?

2. Is there a way to disable the gas engine altogether? Maybe a circuit breaker for the fuel pump or something of the kind.

It's probably not worthwhile to take the risk just to save on towing but no harm in asking.

Thanks!
    Philippe

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Tow it

sylvaing and schja01 like this.
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Accidentally mixing gasoline and diesel fuel - What happens then? (bellperformance.com)

Currently your biggest problem is getting the tank drained since the diesel is (hopefully) limited to only the tank.
    Run the engine? Now it's in the fuel lines, injectors and cylinders and becomes a bit more expensive to clean out. No dealer is likely to say...we'll just let it ride and see what happens. They're going to want to do the full cleanout. Is it a fatal problem? No one can say for sure, but if it is, once the breakage happens, it's too late to change your mind.

It sucks, and I've done some sketchy stuff with older cars, forklifts, dingos and such when fuel was accidently mixed, but I don't think I'd risk it with my real ride. I would find a way to drain and fill or dilute the living crapola out of it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wonder if you could get a tube down there to pump most of it out and then fill with gas