1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dieseling & SF south bay dealer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by katleman, Jan 24, 2006.

1. katleman

katleman New Member

I've got about 1400 miles on my 2006 Prius, and shortly after I picked it up, I noticed the ICE would diesel when shutting off. Decided to wait for a few tankfuls, to get past the breakin period, to see if it was just a breakin issue, and to see if there is anything else that shakes out in the first 1000 miles. Fortuneately, that's been the only problem.

But it's really bugging me, since when I'm about to go into glide, with ICE turning off, I get a spike in power as the ICE diesels, at a time when I don't want, expect, more power.

First, has anyone else had problems with dieseling?

Second, any recommendations for service departments of the Toyota dealers in the San Jose area (south SF bay) Or more importantly, which ones to avoid.

Thanks

2. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Can't say that I've run to this exact problem. Mine, when cold will shake slightly when shutting down at a stop light, but that goes away once it is warm. You might try switching brands of gas for a couple of tanks. If that doesn't cure it get to the dealer.

3. katleman

katleman New Member

Yeah, left that out of the initial post, but the problem still occurs after after driving 20-30 minutes. I purposely ignored the first 5 minutes of less than smooth shutdowns. Yes, the problem exists after the car has warmed up as well, just as noticable.

As to fuel, just started the 4th tank, and it's been filled up at different stations each time (Shell, Costco, Unical) so I doubt it's the gas.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is normal behavior. The thread mentioned is a good start and their are others on the subject. This thread may help as well; http://priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=14. It does appear to be worse in Stage 2 and or 3. Warm up is a relative thing, since I have had the ScanGage and now CAN View it is amazing how fast this little engine cools off. On a normal light you will see the engine temp drop 10 F easily at 30-40 degrees outside temp. At 20 F it drops faster. A long light will take you from Stage 3 to 2 easily. I would guess there is nothing wrong with the car but take it in. Hopefully you will find a Prius Tech that will listen and look at the car. My money is on OK though. You will get used to it just like stopping at a light. It will only be strange when it doesn’t happen.

6. jsorger

jsorger New Member

Capitol Toyota (SJ) has recommended things without asking/checking if I had replaced them first.

For example:
    Them: "Your air filter needs replacing"
    Me: "Really?"
    Them: "Yeah, it's pretty dirty".
    Me: "Funny, I replaced it last week"
    (Silence)
    Them: "Well, I'll have the guy look at it again"

I would be wary of having work done there...