1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diff. in ride between Prius IV and V

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Bluebelle, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Bluebelle

Bluebelle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have had my 2010 Prius IV since October and love it. I inherited a 2010 Prius V with the Advanced Tech package and less than 600 miles on it, which I'll probably keep and give the Prius IV to my son. My question: It seems the Prius V has a rougher, louder ride than the IV. Is this a known problem or is it my car (or my imagination)? :)

Thanks ~ I know I shouldn't complain....

2. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not your imagination. Take a look at the amount of rubber on the 17" vs. 15 " tires. More rubber = softer ride and greater noise isolation.

3. RoyThePriusGuy

RoyThePriusGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

HUH???? Your "more rubber" hypothesis... is 180...

the 17s have a larger tire patch on the road....

17s have less sidewall flex than the 15s, thus the stiffer ride.
    17s with the larger rubber contact transmit more sound thru the suspension in general, but dependent upon tire construction.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Contact area is not the issue here, it is sidewall flex. Leeb is correct.

Tom

5. RoyThePriusGuy

RoyThePriusGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Originally Posted by RoyThePriusGuy [​IMG]
    HUH???? Your "more rubber" hypothesis... is 180...

the 17s have a larger tire patch on the road....

17s have less sidewall flex than the 15s, thus the stiffer ride.

17s with the larger rubber contact transmit more sound thru the suspension in general, but dependent upon tire construction.

1 person likes this.
  6. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Less sidewall flex = stiffer ride.

Stiffer ride = rougher ride in the original poster's (OP's) opinion.

I just took a IV and a V out for some test drives on friday. I would agree that the V had a stiffer ride and better handling due to the 45 series, 17" tires. I would also say that the ride was rougher, because the tires weren't smoothing out the bumps in the road like the 15" tires will do.

7. bigdog1234

bigdog1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Completely disagree. Bluebell mentioned both louder and stiffer ride with the V, than the IV.

Loudness IS directly correlated to the contact area of the tire. The V has tires with larger contact area.

Stiffness is inversely related to the height of the sidewall. The V has a shorter sidewall than the IV, and therefore, everything else being equal, should be stiffer.

This all assumes that the same tread pattern, and softness of the rubber is used on both tires. Just evaluating the difference in sound and stiffness based on tire size differences.

8. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In addition to the tires themselves, there is also a steering ratio difference between the V and the other models. This also accounts for some of the overall 'ride' impression, as I think it helps provide a sportier feel overall.

Once you learn to the LKA and the Radar CC, you'll never want to go back.

9. bigdog1234

bigdog1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Gotta have a sun roof. A must!

Solar is also a pretty cool feature (no pun intended) for those of us who live (and park) in hot/sunny weather most of the year.

10. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    FYI . . . That solar panel on the 2010 Prius 4 model is manufactured by a company called, " Kyocera ". Kyocera has broken the multicrystalline silicon solar cell efficiency world record several times over. In addition they have increased the light sensitive surface area of their solar cells, lowered resistance and reduced energy loss due to reflection, all to improve the efficiency of their solar panels. Kyocera claims they are constantly setting the bar for their industry. www.kyocerasolar.com
    They have a facility in Scottsdale, Arizona.:)

11. bigdog1234

bigdog1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Well, all I can say is - I like their product. Got to use the solar roof option on the Prius last Summer, and did a very nice job in keeping the interior of the car close to the outside air temperature...still in the 90's, but far better than the usual 120+ baking that most car interiors get in the Summer. A good 20-30 degrees cooler, which then helps to reduce the thermal load that the AC has to work against when trying to bring the cabin temperature down into the 70's.

IMO, the solar sunroof is a very nice feature.

12. SDM44

SDM44 SeƱor Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    IMO, my V is extremely quiet and soft compared to my E92 M3 or Land Cruiser. But then I haven't driven a II - IV for a long period of time so I can't say how smooth or quiet they are over the V.

13. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  14. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just thinkin' out loud. Tire tread seemed to always have the biggest difference for me in noise. On my TCH both sets of Bridgestones were loud but the replacements on the third set with Michelin were much quieter (same size).

I would think too that contact patch might vary some from tire to tire brand / style based on tire pressures and yes even sidewall. May not be so, but it just seems logical that perhaps a soft tire will roll out and be flatter than perhaps a stiff walled V rated tire, thus possibly having more contact area, especially when rolling or cornering. I don't imagine it's enough to really matter, as I really think tread is the culprit. I still think though some sound deadening materails would help quite a bit.

15. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'll say this about my 4 month old V. At first the ride was rock hard, but the more miles I put on it, the more compliant the ride has gotten. Or I just got used to it. I will say that on non-windy days, the only sound you can hear while you're at freeway speeds are the tires.

16. bigdog1234

bigdog1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I wonder if that's age related, or has more to do with the temperature warming up?

17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There is always a little extra rubber on brand new tires. When this wears off handling gets better and gas mileage gets better. Temperature also affects the hardness of the rubber. They really have made advances. On my previous car the tire made a huge difference in noise. Tire Rack seems to have good comparisons.

I went for an in between wheel/tire upgrade to a 205/50R17 continental extreme contact dws. I don't think it is any nosier than the oem 15s. Contact patch is a little less than that on the V, but its a UHP so much more contact than the oem tires. Suprisingly good handling in the rain, which is why I picked the tire. It does has a little too much flex in the sidewall, but that is easily corrected by pumping them to higher pressure. The OP might try going down to 32 psi if that is more comfortable. I like the stiffer feel on good roads, and I did let pressure out for a camping trip to get more comfort on gravel and mud. I know the tires are new, but I'm sure you can get more comfortable quieter ones when you replace them. I need to sell my oem's, so if you want 15s on the V, I'm sure you can make a proffit on the trade.

18. rpeek2

rpeek2 Dry Ice Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I traded in a Gen I for the Gen III. IMO the ride didn't improve much in 8 years. Must have something to do with the way the rubber is suspended.

19. Bluebelle

Bluebelle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm so happy to know it's not my imagination. So I guess my bluebelle handle will need to be changed to blizzardwhitebelle. Love my blue IV, but logic dictates I keep the blizzard white V for myself.

Thank you all for your input!!

20. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Forget about which rides better. It's which looks better, lol!