1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Difference between 2004/5 and later models' clockspring?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sompom, Dec 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sompom

Sompom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have two 'late model' Gen 2 Prii (2006 and 2007) with the traditional clockspring failure -- Most of the steering wheel buttons work, but the right-side climate control and the info button don't.

I have also parted out two Prii, one was a 2005 and the other was a 2006 with no BT controls on the steering wheel. I have the clocksprings from both of these.

Since there are fewer buttons, I would assume the clocksprings are different on the older cars, but at the same time this exact part is used for a huge range of Toyota vehicles.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the 'early model' clocksprings and the 'late model'?

2. Sompom

Sompom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    To answer my own question, there doesn't seem to be a difference

I am too impatient for my own good, so I went ahead and installed the clockspring from the 2005 into my 2007 Prius, and now all the buttons work!

As others on this forum have said, there was an additional component, the one labeled 89245B in this diagram: TOYOTA PRIUSNHW20L-AHEEBA - ELECTRICAL - SWITCH RELAY COMPUTER | Japan Parts EU which popped off the original clockspring and went onto the replacement, and which wasn't on the older Prii, and doesn't seem to be on the replacement parts for sale online