1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Difference between Mods an Hacks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by GreenSpeed, Aug 16, 2006.

1. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi Everyone,

Just wanting to get an answer as to what people define as a mod and/or a hack.

My personal opinion is:
    Mod is changing something on your car that is already functional (wheels, tinting windows) for changed functionality
    Hacks however are changed performed that alter the use of the car (Adding dvd playing capability to MFD, PHEV hybrid mod, EV button, etc)

Also i note there is a 'grey' area. For example installing HID conversion kits for standard foglight mounts, Always On Backup camera, etc. Can anyone give me a definitive answer? Or atleast your opinion. Anything is appreciated :)

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I pretty much agree, although I consider the EV a mod as the software is already in the system and is available in Japan and Europe.

I consider cutting the speed sensor wires a hack, as well as the NAV override in the 2004-2005.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The terms were borrowed from computer programmers, hackers, and gamers, who deam a mod as something that changes the base functionality, look, or feel of an object, be it hardware or software. a hack is often misunderstood by the public, and really is the act of using existing code bases with slight modification to create something new. a much more common distinction (but slightly different than above) between them is hacks are software based, and mods hardware based.

Thus here a hack should refer to an item that utilizes existing features to create a different experience (like the seat belt defeat, which only involves a complicated series of actions to engage, or the 04-05 nav override), and not apply to those actions that weren't designed into the car. a mod would definately include items like subs, rims, PHEV mods. The grey area exists where you have to add some hardware (physically change the experience) in order to access the built in features. examples of this are the speed sensor switch and the EV mod. both are mods in that you physicially change the vehicle, but hacks in that you are simply allowing certain existing functionalities to be accessed.

so for the complete list (of what i can remember) as i see it:

Hacks:
    Nav Override
    seat belt and reverse beep defeat
    any other purely software related changes (no cutting wires, or adding components)

Mods:
    Subs
    Rims
    Tinting
    XM/Sirius
    General speaker/sound system upgrades
    roof racks
    side moldings

Grey area:
    speed sensor defeat
    EV mod
    always on power outlet

4. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 16 2006, 11:28 AM) [snapback]304208[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Eagle! I'll be fleshing that out in the mod's section of the priusmods.wiki.com site i've doing. Actually i've seen some pretty hard core 'modders/hackers' that have done alot of stuff with their Prii.
    Cheers!

5. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 16 2006, 01:28 PM) [snapback]304208[/snapback]</div>
    In software, there's also the connotation that a hack is something 1) quick and dirty, ie. not a professional job, and/or 2) changes the behavior of something in a manner not intended by the manufacturer (adding extra lives to a video game for instance, or overriding a safety feature, like the nav lock-out).
    Otherwise I agree with your post.

6. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Aug 18 2006, 11:57 AM) [snapback]305392[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, i felt those generally fell under the "misunderstood by the public" heading... Many people see hacking as something dirty, illegal, or illegitemately gaining an edge over the competition in games... for the most part, this is actually cracking, not hacking. Most professional programmers (especially web developers) do a certain amount of hacking on a daily basis... some of it is quick and dirty (generally as an easy way of data mining information of your computer), but most of it is simply the reuse of code you've previously writen (if you did it well, then it's in a library-type format) to perform a function. Think about it: why reinvent the wheel everytime you need to drive to the store?

Personally, my code base at home is about 2 gigs worth of code and libraries written over the past 15+ years i've been coding... now, none if it is entirely that old (languages change, etc), but some of it does have it's roots back to code from the beginning, it's just on revision 1 billion by now :-p

7. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OMG! You have 2 gigs of code!!?!? I'm an IT administrator myself. Sheesh, that's crazy. Heh, I did basic Java but that really wasn't for me. Yucky!

:)

I'll stick with my servers and routers any day.

Oh, but so what definition should I have? I've updated my site here
    What do you ya'll think?

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A hack is pulling a signal by jamming a paper-clip in next to the pin
    where it sits in the connector, and leading the wire straight up
    across the dash to a sloppy breadboard. A mod is the same thing
    but with a nice slit-n-tap connection, taped up and dressed neatly
    back into the harness, the wire run along a nice non-abrasive
    path under the dash, and going into a neatly packaged display device
    that's fastened down in a sensible, non-sightline-intrusive way and
    becomes a permanent part of your car.
    Both things work, but the latter is probably less likely to short
    out and explode. But that's a risk you take during proof-of-concept
    development sometimes.
    My car's pretty much had a mix of both ever since I got it.
    _H*

9. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Aug 18 2006, 04:54 PM) [snapback]305582[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, two gigs of code... going all the way back to the first code i wrote on my elementry school's (then new) Apple 1's, all of the stuff i did for fun since then, the code i wrote for the cool CNC machine in my IT class in middle school, the two semesters of web design classes, two semesters of VB classes, and three semesters of C++ classes, including AP, in High school, 5 straight years of coding in everything from machine language, assembly, basic, C, C++, c#, VB, Java, PHP, HTML, ASP, and a few others i'm fogetting in College (Case Western Reserve University) to get my bachelors and masters. It's amazing how quickly this stuff piles up when you're a packrat like i am :-p I've got assemblers and compilers (writen up in pieces in library format) from class, advanced calculators, various neural networks, code for autonomous robotics, everything imaginable.

And hobbit, i starter reading your post, and could only think of McGuyver :-p

10. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    While we're on the subject, is it important to note that act of hacking, and hacks (the people who hack) also known as hackers, are people who write code, sometimes the term is used in the derogatory sense to mean code that is not very elegant, but works well.

Crackers are people that break into computer systems. The media and our illustrious government tend to get these terms confused, replacing cracker with hacker.

A Kracker is something else entirely, and is derogatory. ;-)

So, a hack might then be a mod that is not elegant, but works. For example, fooling the speed sensor of the Prius NAV to think you are moving very slowly would be a hack. Flipping over the rear view mirror for better auto-dim response would be a hack. Replacing the mirror with a better designed mirror would be a mod.

To me, it is a question of elegance. All hacks are mods, but not all mods are hacks. Importing pre-painted Signal mirrors from Japan is a mod. Sticking on self-adhesive signals and running the wire through the window is a hack.

If a hack is really inelegant, and not likely to stand the test of time, it is a kludge.

See definitions here:

http://www.outpost9.com/reference/jargon/jargon_toc.html

By the way, the New Hacker's Dictionary ought be required reading before anyone is issued a license to surf the Internet.

Nate