1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Difference between Prius Heat Shield and regular sun shields?

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by shayndel, Mar 28, 2007.

1. shayndel

shayndel New Member

What is the difference between the Toyota Prius heat shields sold on Prius Chat by Canvasworks, and the regular sun shields you can get in the auto stores?

Does the sun beating down hurt the computer display when the car is not on?

I'm about to buy my new Prius package 2, maybe tomorrow, in San Francisco!

Thanks!

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I suspect you'll have a hard time finding one to fit the Prius windshield exactly at your local K-Mart or auto parts store. They're either too short for the Prius' long windshield or too wide. The wide one (more suitable for large pickups or SUVs) will work but they're cumbersome to use. The Canvasworks shade is made to fit the Prius.

The Canvasworks shades rolls up for storage, rather than accordion-folding like most. Some think it's a PITA to roll up, but it doesn't bother me.

The Canvasworks shade will sag somewhat in the middle after awhile. It hasn't been a big issue for me, but it has for others. Another PC member, efusco, described and posted pics of a modification to the shade that solved the sagging problem. Sorry, I don't have the link, but you can try searching, or maybe he'll see this and post.

I used an auto parts store model at first. See this thread for a problem with the dash display that arose after using it.

3. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Mar 28 2007, 03:25 PM) [snapback]413717[/snapback]</div>
    Here are the pictures that JimboK is referring to. OK, it's a bunch a pictures, but you'll be able to find to relevant ones. I did the same thing with my shade (following efusco's pictures) and can attest to it working. I get little to no sagging. And the best part, when my wife saw what I was doing, she thought I was brilliant! I did give credit where it was due though.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a perfect fit for the windshield (i.e. it's customised).

The screen can get pretty darn hot in the summer (and I'm in Canada lol). Try it one day without the sunshade.